1996 Pontiac Grandam GT Troubleshooting

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  1996 Pontiac Grandam GT Troubleshooting

Hi Everyone,

I have a problem with my car and wanted to see if anyone could give me some advice and/or ideas as to what might be wrong or what I should be checking out.

When I go to put on the brake, sometimes the front end makes this thumping noise. More to the right front, but I sometimes feel it in the left front of the car too. I'm starting to feel it in the steering wheel.

I have a 1996 Pontiac Grand Am GT Sedan 4D

Engine: V6 3.1 Liter
Trans: Automatic
Drive: Front Wheel Drive
Mileage: 114,000

Equipment
Air Conditioning
Power Steering
Power Windows
Power Door Locks
Tilt Wheel
Cruise Control
AM/FM Stereo
Single Compact Disc
Premium Sound
Dual Front Air Bags
ABS (4-Wheel)
Rear Spoiler
Alloy Wheels

Not sure what other information I can give.... any advice/information would be appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Sharon

posted by  Sharon

do you feel a light pulse in the brake pedal the thumping could be a warped brake disk/rotor(s) see if you can get a free brake inspection done somewhere also if they offer to machine the rotor's it's not worth it 6 month down the road they usally warp again and you will have to replace them then for sure. new rotors are fairly cheap in the aftermarket line around 20 to 50 $ cdn you will also need pads for the new rotor's if you have to go this way

posted by  osborste

if it is a fairly audible clunk and now your feeling it in the steering wheel it sounds like a loose suspension part...and probably not loose cuz someone forgot to tighten it but loose cuz it is worn out, if you think it is the right front, since it's your car and you know the sounds of it best your probably right about the area of sound so i could go into detail about checking your front end parts, or you could get a shop to check your front end, im gunna guess right front lower ball joint, should do both sides and a wheel alignment is critical afterward but thats just a guess, good luck :thumbs:

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

the brake pads can slap sometimes if there was no silicon applied to them.
i would say some front end component is worn.when the car is stopped ,put in park.grab the tire on top and shake it.do you feel any slight clunk?the gm cars are also famous for the lower steering link having play.the link is one of 3 pieces(depending on the car)it is designed to collapse in case of a collision so you do not get steering wheel into the body thing.if the link has play,wobbly low speed steering and a clunk when you go over speed bumps will happen.GM has upgrades for the cavalier and other models.any steering component,a loose caliper,worn slider pins .tie rod ends ball joints .get the front end checked out,and always get a second opinion.

posted by  the lobster

Your Message