1991 Ford Tempo, won't start

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  1991 Ford Tempo, won't start

I have a '91 Ford Tempo, 2.3 engine, auto trans. I recently pulled the engine and tranny to replace the exhaust manifold and trans seal. After getting the job done, (it only took me about 4 months), the car ran fine.

I drove this car to work, (25 miles on way), for about 2 weeks, and then it just died. At first it restarted and I made it about 5 miles, and it died again. This time, no re-start. Towed the car home, and there it sat.

After the car sits overnight, it will start and run for around 30 seconds, and then abruptly shuts off, and will not start again. I have replaced the fuel filter. Fuel pressure runs around 57 PSI at the fuel rail. I pulled a spark plug, put the wire back on, and grounded the plug, big, bright spark when cranking engine. Coil ohms out correctly. Put a test light on one of the injectors. Both wires hot to ground with key on. No light when attatched between the two wires, key on, cranking engine.

I haven't tried to retrieve computer codes, yet. I did disconnect the battery, in hopes to "reboot" the system. No start.

I have a Chilton's manual for it, but haven't found a lot beyond basic troubleshooting in it.

Any ideas? Take a shot, I'll try just about anything at this point.

Les

posted by  lrpierce

What precisely does "hot to ground" mean?

posted by  vwhobo

the red wire at the injectors should have power the other tan is the ground trigger at the eec(computer)module check for a brown and green relay these are the fuel and injecter relays the injecter one i belive is green it also supplies power to other sensors (egr soliniod/idle air soliniod) if you have power here then the eec is not working or not getting a signal that its trying to start to activate the injectors

posted by  osborste

Thank's for advice. I'll look for the relay's, and check them out. I hope it's not the eec, sound's expensive.

vwhobo ? You're kidding, right? If you're a VW man, surely you have set your timing with a test light, setup with a "hot" side, and a "ground" side. "hot" meaning the item with the positive charge, and "ground" meaning the chassis of the car, or something attatched to it, with the negative charge. (Excuding positive earth vehicles, of course).

lp

posted by  lrpierce

Re-read the question... based on your exact words "hot to ground". While in your world that may mean something, in the real world of automotive repair anytime you have "hot to ground" it is known as a short. There has to be some sort of electrical device between the positive and negative otherwise it's a short.

I'm sorry if you're inept at using proper terminology or describing your work, that's a problem you'll have to deal with.

posted by  vwhobo

Your Message