Car Wiring for audio

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Car Wiring for audio

Please help!!!

I have a 1993 Pontiac grand am. 2 Years ago when I bought the vehicle, I put my old CD player in. Well, it has power, but the speakers gave me no sound(all 4 of them). I thought, OK, it's an old CD player, so it's junk. I put the factory radio back in and it worked fine. :thumbs:

Yeasterday, I bought a brand new CD player. Worked fine for a day, but this morning, the speakers cut out(and it was still playing my CD, and power is still on to radio). :cussing: All 4 speakers cut out, and it is wired correctly.

So I have no clue now. I don't want to take it somewhere to have it fixed unless I ABSOLUTELY have to. Any suggestions of what this problem is will be very helpful, I've put in so many CD players before and I know what I am doing. But now I'm lost. :banghead:

Thanks in advance!

Debbie

posted by  nursedebbie1981

there could possibly be a short from one of the speakers, causing the rest to cut out...not 100% sure though

posted by  transgr3ssi0n

the stock speakers in some cars have a low ohm value .check the speakers.common speaker impedance is 8 ohms.if the value of some stock
speakers have been designed specifically for a stock deck,i have seen some with 2.8 ohm impedance .the problem is ,they will draw too much current and blow the output ic (integrated circuit) .if the stereo that you just put in was designed for 8 ohm speakers,that might be the problem.it gets worse than that.if the front and rear speakers are in parralell,the resistance can be half the ohm value.for example,if 2 8 ohm speakers are in paralell the resistance will be 4 ohms.if the output devices in the stereo get overheated ,they will blow out quite easy.take the new stereo out and have it bench tested out of the car.if it checks out ok,check the speaker impedance values.if they are a low resistance,what you can do is install a cd stacker.it can have a device know as an FM modulator.it will broadcast an fm signal to your factory deck.dial up say 88.1 fm,and you can listen to a cd.if that is not something you wish to do,and you have low ohm speakers,add a 4.7 ohm (10 watt power type)resistor in series with each speaker.you will lose some power,but it will not cook the outputs in the new deck.if you have 8 ohm speakers,then you must have a short somewhere that is blowing out the audio.

posted by  the lobster

its highly unlikely that all the speakers are shorted.if the ohm value of the speakers is less than 8 ohms,it will draw too much current and blow the output chips in the deck.i have seen some stock decks with 2.8 ohm speakers.i would put the stock deck back in and wire a cd stacker that has a FM MODULATOR.it will broadcast an fm signal,just like a radio station and you can dial it in on the fm band .usually it is a 88 mhz frequency range . speakers are 8 ohms,not say 6 or 4 ohms,then I would take out the deck that just went silent on you and have it bench tested.put the stock deck back in and see if it works.if it does,then your speaker impedance is PROBABLY TOO LOW A VALUE .there is one other possibility:some gm stereos are common ground.that means that one wire on all speakers is connected to ground.all the new decks have a floating ground,which means that 2 wires MUST be run to each speaker.one plus ,one minus.IF YOU HOOK A COMMON GROUND SPEAKER SYSTEM TO FLOATING OUTPUT,THERE WILL BE 12 VOLTS DC ON THE SPEAKER TERMINALS AND THE DC WILL COOK THE VOICE COILS IN THE SPEAKERS.take a dc voltmeter and measure across the speakers,it should read 0 vdc.if there is any dc there,thats the problem.

posted by  the lobster

The speaker cannot take the amount of sound coming out of the new cd player cause it was made for the original radio. that why your original radio works but the cd does not. Check the out put of the speakers and hope everything will be okay.

Atish

posted by  Atish kumar

the original gm stereos are 20 -30 watts per channel,some are more or less than that value,but most modern decks are 30 to 40 watts per channel.unless you are using a separate power amp,the likelyhood of frying all the speakers is unlikely,because it would become very distorted,before the speakers blew.besides,the original deck was put in after the one that was put in 2 years ago went dead,and it worked.that means the speaker are not blown.the 2 year old deck was probably better at handling a low impedance.i still say the best solution is to put the stock deck back in and put in a cd stacker.

posted by  the lobster

I agree ... doesn't sound like the speakers are blown, but a low impedance speaker may cause trouble with the head unit outputs due to the tendency for excessive current draw.

Make sure you match speaker impedance with output impedance.

posted by  windsonian

Your Message