power steering woes (70 torino)

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  power steering woes (70 torino)

ok i replaced all my power steering hoses recently, but i made the mistake of taking the old ones off and putting the new ones on 3 months apart. not a good idea.

the problem im having now, is, if have the slave cylinder hoses one way on the valve, then it wont turn. period. if i have them another (i assume correct) way, as soon as you start the car it turns hard right and holds it there.

the way ive got it connected now is, the top hose on the cylinder to the connection farthest rear on the valve, and the bottom on the cylinder to the forward most connection. the pressure and return lines, i cannot have switched, they have different size fittings and only go in one way.

for reference i did take apart the valve and clean all the internals, and reassemble it. its a 70 torino. any help would be appreciated!!

posted by  SoundPer4mance

i'm going to take a shot here i suspect you have the spool valve not in correctly or centered your going to need to recheck you internal's with a manual handy

posted by  osborste

ill will take it off again and check tomorrow, but i actually didnt mess with the spool valve, except to clean the ends of it. i left it in the body. the only part i really took apart was that spring. what do you mean by centered? it did move some as i was cleaning the body, but i figured it would go back to where it needed to be automatically.

the big question here is, are my hoses correct on the slave cylinder? if i can find that out for sure ill know the problem is isolated at the control valve

there's some diagram's at www.mustang123.com they might give you some idea with the hose's

posted by  osborste

thanks for the link but all they have are thumbnails, the full versions cost money, but even then, it says they are not for sale right now

click on the view button or the pic it should open bigger does for me

posted by  osborste

does the nut on the spool bolt in the valve have to be at a specific postiion? i just put it back on there to where i thought it was before.

sorry can't print off a clear enough pic of the diagram check with the dealer or local library might sign out ford manual that has your steering box and for the hose's in the diagram looks like the pressure hose goes to the bottom hole and the lower is return to reservoir(closest to the input shaft) if its a saginaw unit

posted by  osborste

Your Message