Paranoid

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Paranoid

Hi, I'm about to buy my first car, and since I only have little money and bad luck I fear that when I buy this vehicle (1995 Ford Taurus GL Sedan V6) either the transmission or the engine is going to blow. The car is $2,195 comes w/ 6 month standard warranty from Eagle Warranty Company and after I get it transferred and sales tax it comes to $2,430. My dad told me that it is too much for me to be spending and said "you could find a car on a lot for $1,200 that has just as good of engine and transmission but it wont look as nice".. the problem is I want a nice car and the taurus is sharp and in excellent condition. My uncle checked out everything on it and likes it and told me i'm making a mistake if i don't buy it. But I guess my question is if it's under warranty and the transmission breaks will that be totally covered ? And what do you guys think about my dads advice.. should I buy something not so nice looking and save a lot of my money ? I dont know.. help please

posted by  Taurus95

Get an inspection from an auto association.It is worth the money.The 3.0 v6
is a decent engine.The 3.8 is known for head gasket trouble.Look at the small print in the warranty.Some have deductibles that are high,and if the safety report from the dealer has ANY leaks noted,the warranty will not cover it.
Family members are well meaning,but they will not fork out for repairs.Call your local better business bereau and see if there is complaints against the warranty company.I personally have not had luck with Fords.I had a Sable with 146000 km on it,and had to replace :The ignition module,the harmonic balancer,the heater core,the electronic cluster,the door handle broke off,
The air conditioning did not work,30% of the transmission pan bolts were loose.And that is not all.I would check for recalls and have someone really look it over.Again ,this is MY experience with Ford ,but the other 3 were not much better.If you can find a GEO PRIZM, It is a toyota corolla that was built for General Motors from 1993 to 1997.It is far less money because half the world does not realize that SUZUKI did not build that GEO model.I have one with 250000 km on it.It is an amazing car.I have owned 30 cars and this one is by far the best of the lot.If you can find an older Honda or Toyota ,that is the best.After all,the Corolla is the worlds number one selling car.

posted by  the lobster

It actually is the 3.8L version. I don't think I'm getting it- thanks for the great advice!

posted by  Taurus95

my sister in law had an 89 sable and it had the 3.8 the car was a nightmare.it was 3 years old when they got it .
my friend had a 94 taurus and it was junk too.I had a sable wagon,it was junk.get an older honda or toyota .get it checked by someone you can trust.

posted by  the lobster

Your Message