Problem with wiper motor Malibu

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Problem with wiper motor Malibu

I have a 1999 Chevrolet Malibu. My wife got into a wreck with it about a month ago causing some slight damage to the front end (had to replace the front springs). After a week or so we had to use the windsheild wipers but they would not come on. The windsheild cleaning fluid would dispense but the wiper blades would not come on. I check the fuses and they all checked out good. What could the other problems possibly be. I have already purchased a wiper motor but do not want to put it on if the problem may be something different. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

posted by  RCaulder

i got a 97 and the repair manual if you have a test light you can check the plug at the wiper motor inter speed is controlled by the grey wire/ low-dark green /high is purple yellow is constant power and black is ground if you get power at these wire's in all speed's then the motor is shot the yellow wire run's from the same fuse as the wiper switch

posted by  osborste

coming from a part of the world that freezes frequently i saw a major common problem with the malibu's and impala's, if the wipers were frozen and you tried to use them it would bend the little tang on the wiper arm of the motor, instead of stopping when it was down it would stop in the straight up position and wouldn't work after that, after throwing in a few motors, (cuz my ex-boss liked to screw people and sell the whole motor) i found you could take the motor out and by using your ever so fruitful knowledge just look at how it is supposed to work , after a while i would just bend the tang so it was staraight up and it worked fine after that, this may not be your problem so K.I.S.S and start with fuses! good luck

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

maybe the brushes are stuck.measure from the motor casing to the pins on the connector.the one with zero resistance is ground.the other 2 are the speeds.if you take it out and hook it up to a battery,using a 20 amp fuse in series with the + you will see if it works. a tester like the other guy suggested is a better idea if you want to see if you have power.there must have been quite alot of damage if you had to replace the springs,it is possible that a peice of sheet metal has cut a wire going to the motor.check the harness by the fender.....

posted by  the lobster

Your Message