Knock Sensor Headache..

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Knock Sensor Headache..

Hi all,
I have a '97 mercury villager that I need to get smogged for registration here in california. Recently, I noticed the check engine light come on and off,so I took it to the 76 station where my brother works and had one of the guys scan the codes..It indicated a knock sensor fault.. the van runs and sounds fine and apparently to replace the knock sensor which is located under the intake manifolds is going to run upwards to $2,000...This my only vehicle and I can't afford 2 grand, please tell me I have some options here..Thank you and god bless!!!

posted by  vibedoug

Not many options if you must pass smog before buying car tags.

posted by  tbaxleyjr

i was gunna call shinannigans on that BS... but i think he's right labour to replace that sensor is 5.2 hours, and the sensor costs aboot 500 bones jeesus christ, if i were you, make damn sure it's not wiring or any other circumstances that will set that code, just cuz the code says "Knock sensor fault" it may not be the sensor, so good luck

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

If it's going to cost you upwards of 2 grand, look for a new mechanic.

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

2 grand seems high, but if it's 5.2 hours to do the job i can only imagine how much crap you have to take off to get at it, and being a professional , you'd want new gaskets for whatever intake pieces you take off, probably have to drain coolant so cost of coolant and gaskets and the sensor , i think it isn't that far off. i won't be cheap thats all i know

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

pulling and re-installing the intake on a Ford V-6 is a $500 - $600 job based on 5.2 hr flat rate. Your shop may have quoted it high since they may have not wanted to do this job on a mini van - Ford mini-vans are a royal pain to work-on

My question is does a 1997 ford V-6 actually have a knock sensor? Many Ford V-6's until the late 1990s - early 2000s have an octane bar

Exactly what OBD II codes were thrown?

posted by  tbaxleyjr

THE 97 VILLAGER IS A NISSAN QUEST.CALL A NISSAN STORE AND GET THEM TO WORK ON IT.
YOU MIGHT GET A BETTER DEAL.NISSAN ALSO PUBLISH A VERY GOOD INTERNAL ONLY SERVICE NETWORK.A DRASTIC CHANGE IN TIMING BROUGHT ON BY SOME IGNITION FAULT COULD ALSO TRIGGER THE KNOCK CIRCUIT IF THE TIMING ADVANCES TOO FAR.

posted by  the lobster

Nissan and Ford shared some design with Nissan on the Windstar and Villager. I am not sure to exactly what extent.

Lobster - are you sure the 3.0 V-6 used in the Ford and the 3.0 V-6 used for several years by Nissan the same engine?

posted by  tbaxleyjr

93-98 were the same

posted by  osborste

I KNOW THAT FOR SURE THE 3 LITRE VILLAGER IS A NISSAN ENGINE,THE WINDSTAR IS A FORD VAN.
IT WAS AVAILABLE WITH A BASE 3.0 ENGINE,AND THE FORD 3.8 LITRE
BUT I AM SURE THAT THE 3.0 LITRE FORD ENGINE WAS THE 3.0 AEROSTAR/TAURUS ENGINE .THE 3.0 LITRE V6 IN THE VILLAGER/QUEST 93-98
IS A DIFFERENT PLATFORM ALTOGETHER THAN THE WINDSTAR.THE WINDSTAR IS MUCH LARGER,HEAVIER,AND IT IS ALL FORD.CROSS REFERENCING THE 2 ENGINES IN THE FORD BOOKS WOULD TELL IF IT IS THE SAME ENGINE.

posted by  the lobster

this is the reason I am asking - the Ford V-6's used an octane bar. pulling this shunt retarded the timing a few degrees while most Nissan engines used a knock sensor

posted by  tbaxleyjr

The funny thing is that the chassis on the windstar is the same as the taurus, springs, tie rods all that junk.

posted by  srober32

I know this is a little late for this but I was just browsing and thought maybe I could help someone else out who may have the same problem. I am a Nissan technician and I also own a Mercury Villager. The power train in the villager up until 2002 is a nissan power train. A knock sensor will not turn on the service eng (check eng) light and if there is a knock sensor code present it will not fail a california smog test. I know this because my villager has a knock sensor code in it and I recently had it smogged with the code stored and it passed. I havent repaired the problem yet because it is in fact a 5 to 6 hour repair and it so far hasn't caused any drivability issures. I also am a licensed california smog technician. I hope this info will help someone out

posted by  RMcGee707

woah, the answers right from the source.. lucky!
:clap:

posted by  C c C

hello my name is Fernando I myself own a 97 mer. villager a couple of months ago the check engine light turned on took it to a local auto parts store to get checked and told me it was the knock sensor. Right now the light is off and has not turned back on, van runs fine. Should I still have it replaced? I also wanted to replace the oxygen sensor, do you know how I can do that. Would I be able to do any of these teo things myself? Where are the locted? Thank You

posted by  ferndog

Your Message