92 Sunbird clicking

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  92 Sunbird clicking

So my girlfriends car just developed a problem, here are the basics. It won't start right, you have to hold the accelerator down to get it to start. Once it starts, there is a very light clicking sound, that gets louder when the car is in Drive and you press on the accelerator. When we pulled into a parking spot, the engine was smoking and smelled odd; it didn't really smell like burning oil or gas.

I checked the oil, and had to add about 1.5 quarts to get it between low and full. The problem is still there though, and we're not sure whether or not to try and drive it to a mechanic; the closest is only about 15 miles away, but you never know.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

posted by  steve_long

3.1 motor? Is it a very loud knock? (I mean.. quite loud, and gets louder and louder the more you torque it). Because those cars where bad for cranks, sounds like that's your problem to me. I've gone through one myself, my second seems to be heading that way too.

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

i hope to god you don't try to put another crank in it, after two went for shits you would learn right buddy... right? :thumbs: NEW CAR TIME

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

It's actually a 2.0L motor. It's not so much a knocking as it is a clicking, kind of like sticking a piece of plastic in a running fan.

posted by  steve_long

did the oil light come on?

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

Haha no no no no, I replaced the engine (new one pictured below). It's $180CAD for an engine from a wrecker, or probably a good 700 or 800 for a crank... hmm.. hard choice eh? :P I'm never gonna junk this car man, this car's my baby (though she has 300k km on er :( I'll fix that with a new dash cluster though :smoke: ) gettin' 'er painted once the snow finally goes away :banghead:

Hmm... with the hood open, can you tell abouts where the sound is coming from? (Trans, starter, engine, components outside of engine etc.) Or where in the engine it sounds like it's coming from maybe.

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

Your Message