Suddenly lost the lowbeams

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Suddenly lost the lowbeams

My wife took her '92 Civic DX sedan to a mechanic for a new muffler. After he was finished, the mechanic backed the car out of the garage and parked it. My wife paid the bill and got in the car and turned the ignition. Nothing. The battery was dead. They tried to jump it but that failed.

My wife had the car towed to Sears. They put in a new battery.

Later in the evening, when my wife turned on the headlights, she now discovered that both lowbeams were not working -- all other lights work fine (brakes, turn signals, highbeams).

What might have happened?

Regards,
Tim

posted by  tklwxyz

have you checked the fuses some cars have fuse for low beam and another for high beam its possible that both light blew at the same time as well

posted by  osborste

Thank you for the response. And, no, haven't checked the fuses. I am not handy with cars. Is it possible the battery change had something to do with the blown fuses -- if they are blown...

Thanks again...
Tim

posted by  tklwxyz

maybe a voltage spike from the old battery or a short couldn't tell for sure if it is a blown fuse and it blows the new fuse then there's a short

posted by  osborste

Thanks again. I'd wondered if Sears had somehow botched the job of putting in the new battery. But, if I'm reading your post correctly, maybe not...

Regards,
Tim

posted by  tklwxyz

no replacing a battery is a simple task if it would have been botched you would have more than the headlights not working

posted by  osborste

Ah, OK...

Thank you,
Tim

posted by  tklwxyz

the radio in the car work. On some cars the radio and the low beams are on the same fuse. If this is the case I would say when the jumped it a the muffler shop, thats when the fuse went.

posted by  Tiffany

Thank you, Tiffany, for the info and I wish I could try out your advice but we have no radio. Any idea how much it would cost, roughly, to test and change a fuse?

Regards,
Tim

posted by  tklwxyz

Let your wife take it in and it might not cost you anything. Tell her to blink alot, If not a couple dollars. It's not that expensive.

posted by  Tiffany

Hah! OK. So, I gather, any shop would be able to do this...

Regards,
Tim

posted by  tklwxyz

Yep even a guy at the gas station might help

posted by  Tiffany

Thanks a ton to you and Osborste for taking the time to help -- if the gas station can do it, maybe a search on Google can teach me.

Regards,
Tim

posted by  tklwxyz

try www.autozone.com in the vehical repair guides section look up your 92 civic good info there

posted by  Tiffany

I'll check it out, thanks...
Tim

posted by  tklwxyz

The Wiring For The Low Beams Could Have Been Pinched When The Battery Was Installed .since Your Car Has Daytime Running Lights,the Low Beams Could Pop A Fuse When They Started It.
Take It Back To Sears And Tell Them To Fix It For Free,,,if They Say Know ,say You Will Sue Them,so Many People Have Already...they Will Fix The Problem...it Is Easy To Pinch Or Short The Wiring When The Battery Is Changed.everyone Says Impossible....but It Happens Everyday.

posted by  the lobster

Your Message