Fuel Pump Fuse keeps popping - Saturn SL2

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Fuel Pump Fuse keeps popping - Saturn SL2

quick question - I have a 99 Saturn SL2 that has a problem with the fuel filter/pump/fuse. The engine turns over but apparently not getting fuel so no go. Was going to yank the filter then the pump to try to fix but I'm finding that the fuse keeps popping. Would a bad pump being causing a short?
Thanks in advance

posted by  suuper

yes if the pump is bad or jammed(not turning)it could blow the fuse

posted by  osborste

well disconnect the fuel pump connector.. put in new fuse and see if it pop. during cranking/or run.

posted by  thongsai

check the proper fuse rating,,say 10 amps.... if you put another one and it blows there is a short,but the only way to tell is measure the resistance of the pump to ground WITH ALL WIRING TO IT DISCONNECTED..power = e x I VOLTAGE X CURRENT . R = E/ I (voltage /current )
IF THE PUMP IS 9 VOLTS AND YOU ARE BLOWING 10 AMP FUSES ,THAT MEANS YOU ARE PULLING 90 WATTS OF POWER. IF YOUR PUMP IS 12 VOLTS AND THE FUSE IS 10 AMPS,YOU ARE PULLING 120 WATTS.....THE PUMP NORMALLY PULLS 5 OR SO ....IF THE FUSE IS 10 AMPS.
12 VOLTS AT 5 AMPS . SINCE THE RESISTANCE = VOLTAGE /CURRENT ... THE RESISTANCE SHOULD BE 2.5 OHMS OR SO AT 12 V. THE RESISTANCE WILL BE LOWER IF THE VOLTAGE IS LOWER. IF THE PUMP CHECKS OK,THEN CHECK THE WIRING,IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO BLOW UP SO MANY FUSES,PUT A 12 VOLT 50 WATT LIGHT IN SERIES WITH THE PUMP.IF THE PUMP IS SHORTED,IT WILL LIGHT THE LAMP,SINCE IT IS A 50 WATT LIGHT IT WILL NOT DRAW MORE THAN 4 AMPS OR SO.IT IS A CURRENT LIMITING DEVICE .
WHEN THE SHORT IS REMOVED THE LAMP WILL GLOW DIM.

posted by  the lobster

Your Message