Dodge Avenger starting problem sometimes

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Dodge Avenger starting problem sometimes

Hello,
Don't know much about cars, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
I have a 1997 Dodge Avenger, 2.6L, auto. I have only had the car about a month, so I don't know the previous repair history. I have only changed oil, pcv valve, and air filter.
The problem is that sometimes the car doesn't want to start, it turns over strong, and everything seems to work fine except it doesn't seem to be getting gas. The problem is wierd because, about 60% of the time it starts fine, without even having to touch the gas pedal, about 30% of the time, you have to try it 2-3 times and pat the gas pedal to the floor over and over before it starts. The other 10% of the time, it takes 10-20 minutes to start it, trying and patting gas pedal over and over until it finally starts.
Once it starts it runs great, no stalling, smooth idle, no problems. And most of the time once you start it, you can turn it off and re-start it on the first try without touching the gas pedal. However, the starting problem seems to be getting alittle more frequent.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!

posted by  Herring

if you can check the fuel pressure or have the tech check it and hope it fail's to start for him from what you describe it sound like a bad fuel pump but could be a bad fuel pump relay or ground

posted by  osborste

your engine should be a 2.4dohc not 2.6 l .IT IS A MITSUBISHI ENGINE.
the other avenger engine was a 163 hp 2.5l v6 (es model)
there is a post for another chrysler product that has the same engine that is doing a similar thing ,intermittent starting.the problem could be the fuel pump,but even hard wiring the fuel pump will not fix it .it is in the control circuit.the sensors and fuel pump circuits are all in one huge module in alot
of chrysler product.(pcm).there is a 01 neon and the wiring harness had some chafed wires.I WOULD GIVE A THOROUGH VISUAL INPECTION OF ALL
CONNECTIONS AND HARNESSES.chrysler has had alot of wiring problems.
if nothing suspicious,run a scan with the obd2 and see which circuit it appears to be in.

posted by  the lobster

Sorry, bad typing, car is ES, engine is 2.5L

posted by  Herring

ONE THING YOU DO NOT WANT TO MESS WITH IS THE TIMING BELT IN THAT V6.ITS A 900$ JOB INCLUDING THE TENSIONER.CHECK THE MODULE THAT DRIVES THE COILS.SPRAY IT WITH FREEZE SPRAY,AND SEE IF IT CAUSES PROBLEMS.I WOULD CAREFULLY CHECK ALL THE WIRING,CHRYSLER HAS HAD ALOT OF PROBLEMS.

posted by  the lobster

Also, can anyone tell me how to replace headlight covers on this 97 Avenger. Do you have to completely remove headlights? Want to remove covers, clean them and tint them. Thank you!

posted by  Herring

you have to remove them.it is not that difficult.use mcguiars plastic polish it is made for cleaning that type of plastic.work great on ford windstars 95-99 as well.look new after.the freeze spray is available at an electronics supplier it is made by MG CHEMICALS, IF YOU HAVE A LOCAL DISTRIBUTOR.it is awesome stuff to find intermittent ic chips,modules,solder joints,transistors.

posted by  the lobster

Ok, I tried to remove my headlights so I could take off the covers and clean them (they are filthy) and it wasn't difficult to locate and remove the bolts, but I couldn't actually remove the headlights because the panels were in the way (I considered pulling back my fender a bit, but decided that was a bad idea...). Lobster (or anyone), could you give some detailed instructions on just how to remove them?

posted by  lexism81

I would have to say that you can polish them on the car if that is what you are trying to do. I think that on some vehicles you have to remove the grille or in some cases a fender to remove the headlight assembly, too much work to just clean up the lenses. Lobster, please stop yelling, some of us have a head ache. :laughing:

posted by  srober32

And a full tune up wouldn't hurt the starting problem either.

posted by  srober32

to hell with the starting problem... it's all in the headlights :laughing: :laughing:

posted by  dodger65

its tricky ,just leave them on,and polish them.what about the starting problem?

posted by  the lobster

i just was ttrying to highlight ssome stuff.

posted by  the lobster

Exploded view, I'll try that. But I can't leave them on because it's the inside I am trying to clean. Is it even possible to do that? I hear you have to melt the glue with a hairdryer to get them apart...

posted by  lexism81

i know what you mean,but if you ruin the seal they are junk.remove the bulbs,spray a not corrosive type cleaner inside then rinse out or use something similar to a thermos brush to clean them. what happened with the starting problem?

posted by  the lobster

Your Message