1991 Plymouth Voyager PVC or not PVC where's my oil going?

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  1991 Plymouth Voyager PVC or not PVC where's my oil going?

My 1991 Plymouth Voyager is losing Oil , having intermittent white smoke (vapor) from exhaust pipe and this also comes into the cab through air vents. I upon looking at all hose connections did find that the Transmission cooler line had a split in it behind the clamp this was fixed. oil loss aparently happens durring driving only as there are NO oil stains in the driveway.
unrelated i feel is the stuck speedometer and odemeter sometimes it sticks sometimes it dosent. stopping at a light dose not always correct it.

posted by  Coed Chick

if its a 3.0L or 3.3L check at the valve cover gaskets its probably leaking at the rear cover on to the exhaust manifold and burning it off

posted by  osborste

Yes, I agree, and that would account for the intermitant smoke out of the tailpipe and the vents.

posted by  srober32

As for the speedo, have the transmission output sensor checked.

posted by  srober32

if it is white smoke,you are ingesting tranny fluid into the vacuum system and it is burning in the engine.if engine oil burns it is blue .if the speedo output shaft seal on the tranny is leaking and spraying onto a hot surface,it could get brought in to the vents by the outside air intake.you said leaking oil,but no stains.have the engine steam cleaned and check after a couple days to see where its going.when you say oil,are you talking engine oil or transmission fluid?some transmissions have a modulator valve that senses vacuum and controls the shift points.those can go bad and ingest transmission fluid.

posted by  the lobster

The internet has a lot to answer for with the the white/blue/black smoke diagnostic.

Sure an engine will blow blue smoke sometimes when there is enough blowby, but it will more than likely blow a billowing white smoke if a turbine seal is knackered, white streams of smoke if the exhaust valve guides are leaking. It can even blow white smoke if the injectors play up.

Truth is that an engine doesn't start blowing a blue oil haze until long after miniumum compression has been achieved and it will generally be accompanied by the sound of bells in the engine bay.

Coed Chick I would hazzard a guess your valve stem seals or guides are leaking. To see if you have blowby pull the PCV hose where it connects to the rocker (valve) cover and see if the hole it was connected to chugs oily vapour when you give it some very mild revs.

posted by  Wally

Your Message