1988 Olds Delta 88

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  1988 Olds Delta 88

Please forgive me, I am new to these forum things.. Firstly, I was wondering if someone has any information for me as to what the problem may be for this car.. the problem is, I was driving then all of a sudden it just got loud for no reason, I took it to my father who does some mechanic work, he said he fixed the problem but it wasn't fixed, it was still loud as heck,.. he's replaced pipes under the car from the cat on back.. said something about a gasket but then he changed his mind and said the car doesn't have a gasket (donut gasket or something like that).... it's a very annoying loud noise.. when I got the car it was quiet like a new one.. lol but now it's getting to sound like a damn beater.. there has to be something he's overlooking or underlooking, will someone please give me some info so I can relay the message/s to him.. I want this noise fixed as soon as possible.. my daughter even tells me to slow down and stuff because it's so loud, lol the car can't go fast no matter how hard I try .. please.. someone's gotta be ''OLDS Smart''

posted by  MyKittySpits

I'm by no means an expert (if I was, I'd be at church instead of trying to figure out why my truck won't start!) but start with the easy places; you can do this yourself. Look to see if your exhaust pipe has come unhooked from your muffler or if your muffler has rusted through in some place. Run your hand along the top of it feeling for disconnections or holes, too (WHEN IT'S COLD!). You'd think your dad would catch that, but sometimes it's not quite so obvious. A freakin' MUFFLER shop missed that on mine when it did the same thing (got loud suddenly).

Worth a shot; wait for the experts to tell you after that's ruled out :-)

posted by  mrmck

Sorry, I forgot not everyone was blessed enough to be able to just crawl up under their vehicles like me...

Make sure you secure it with jack stands after you jack it up and before you get under it to check this out. Let it down on the jack stands before venturing up under there to prevent accidental crushing!

posted by  mrmck

Thank you very much... and happy easter.. stay safe!!!

posted by  MyKittySpits

There may not be a gasket between your exhaust pipe and exhaust manifold but the bolts and springs that attatch them do go bad especially if the pipe has moved, you cannot tell very well visually but that may be your problem.

posted by  srober32

If Your Olds Has The 3.8 Litre V6,there Is A Donut On The Exhaust Manifold Where It Connects To The Cat.these Are A Very Common Thing.so I Am Thinking That Your Dad Put In A Straight Pipe With No Resonator,or The Donut Is Cracked,the Exhaust Manifold,or The Cat Has A Hole In The Top Part Of It.i Have An 89 Olds 98. 3.8 L V6

posted by  the lobster

YOU WOULD THINK THAT THESE PEOPLE WOULD AT LEAST REPLY.....

posted by  the lobster

i don't expect it, just use and abuse me like a cheap whore, i like it that way, and don't lie lobster so does your girlfriend :mrgreen:

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

Is there a resonator on modern, non performance cars?

posted by  srober32

Your Message