Air Conditioner Problem

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Air Conditioner Problem

Hey Guy's, I got so much good advice the last time I had a problem with my car I decided this is the best place to get help with my A/C. It's a 99 camero, SS with the LS1 engine. When I turn the A/C switch to cool the fan comes on, the compressor engages and stays engaged. Air blows through the vents. The problem is it will not cool. I tried switching to defrost just to see if the vents were working. All seems to be fine. Any ideas on what the problem could be? I was hoping it would be something simple, but the fact that the compressor stay's engaged tells me it's not low on freon. BTW It uses the newer 134A freon.
James

posted by  riojames

If it stays engaged that means it's low on freon. It's supposed to cut out periodically. You need it filled up.

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

Strange I thiught that if it was low on freon the low pressure switch would kick out the compressor.
Thanks, I got an A/C tech who is gonna take a look.
James

posted by  riojames

Nope, it's trying to compress it, but there's nothing to compress. Just think of an air compressor, if there's no air, it'll run forever, it needs something to compress to get the PSI/KPa up to make it cut out.

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

check pressure put dye to see where the leak is .its amazing the japanese still work 15 years later :ford gm 6 years is all she wrote....parts from the cheapest bidder..

posted by  the lobster

hmmm that sounds familiar, apollo 13?

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

Ummm... it doesn't have to leak to run out of freon, every vehicle in the world needs to be recharged eventually. You don't even know how to fill a car with freon, so you think he's going to know how? And did you not know you need a UV light, tinted safety glasses, dye, freon, and an A/C filling station to do what you just recommended.

Think then post.

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

Unless you live in the U.S. then good luck getting ahold of freon here... illegal to sell anything but r134.

posted by  srober32

have a a/c guy look at it, there's no way you can really know what's up until you put gauges on it. btw, the low pressure switch should cut the compressor out if it is low on charge. and a/c systems are sealed systems, unless there is a leak, they should never have to be recharged. (but almost all of them leak, eventually)

posted by  dodger65

Your Message