CRX Engine Swap....$$$

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  CRX Engine Swap....$$$

iam getting a CRX with high miles! and iam planing on swapin it with a JDM Engine. I was wondering how much it would cost to get it swaped at a shop????

:D

posted by  error

Hot tip of the day... Ask the shop you're going to have it done at. They promised not to quote my prices, and I promised not to quote theirs.

Seriously there are alot of factors to consider. How much does the engine cost? Are you also swapping the transaxle and if so, how much is that? What other hi-po parts are you going to install? What is the labor rate at the shop you're going to? The list is quite extensive.

What you need to do is visit some shops and pose the question to them. Shop around and find a place you're comfortable with. And remember, the place with the lowest price isn't necessarily the place with the best value.

posted by  vwhobo

iam going to buy a used jdm engine for like 600-800 and all i need is the engine swap. What would be an estimate of how much a shop will charge JUST for a swap?

posted by  error

Your response is proof that you read three sentences of my post which is a good thing. Now read all of it and that would be a better thing. It just might take a little effort on your part to find your answer.

Second tip for the day. Installing a JDM engine is very seldom a direct replacement. Due to different powertrain management and emissions systems and regulations you often have to use parts from the old engine on the new one or change things on the car (PCM for example) to make it work. I don't know exactly what you have or what you're getting and it sounds like you might not either. Another reason to TALK TO THE SHOP THAT WILL DO THE WORK.

posted by  vwhobo

:evil: the shop is really far from where i live and i dont have a car.... and i was just wondering if an engine swap whould cost me LOTS of money like 1000-2000 dollars.... it would help to know this before i buy an old ass 88 crx that will need an engine swap.... I Found an 88 crx that is working and running but I know it will soon need a new engine, there for I ask how much will it be, because the crx is $800 dollars and I dont wanna find out later it will cost me more that $2000 just for installing the new engine and parts needed.... It Would really Help to know a price range on how much this will cost me, If's its too much then I rather get a newer car for all that money, that has a good engine and stuff.. :!:

posted by  error

Do they have telephones where you live? I'm guessing they do if you have internet access so... Pick up the phone and use it. And since you're so insistent here's a price range for you. Somewhere between $300 and $3000. Probably. :rolleyes:

posted by  vwhobo

:twisted: 3000$!!!!!!!!!! iam just gonna buy the engine and install it my self!!
:evil:

all it is really is disconneting the old motor and conneting the new motor!!!!! shop's thinnk there slick!!!!

posted by  error

Ya...most of that stuff that hangs off of it is just fluff anyway...you really don't need it all. Just so you're able to bolt it onto the transmission...that's all that counts anyhow.

:rolleyes:

posted by  BavarianWheels

:evil:

posted by  error

Is it too soon for me to use the words "frigging idiot" yet? :rolleyes:

posted by  vwhobo

I think you are safe now....IMO you were safe in the beginning, because this whole concept was retarded.

posted by  SuperJew

shut up idiot

posted by  error

That's what I've been thinking for a while now. Go look in the mirror and repeat your last post ten times. :rolleyes:

posted by  vwhobo

what jdm engine are you talking about getting? because there are quite a bit: B16a (civic type R)? B18c (integra type R)? B20 (crv)? or just a good ol' D16 (SOHC) with your choice of vtec/no vtec? LS? H22? or GS-R?

posted by  mazda6man

Read all of his posts, do you think he really has any idea? My gut feeling is he's here asking questions because nobody where he lives will talk to him anymore. :rolleyes:

posted by  vwhobo

very true, most people that know what theyre doing woud just throw the engine in themselves... haha, plus its more fun that way, cheaper, and that way you know your engine.. (i know you know that, that was kind of directed to our friend here)

posted by  mazda6man

i was thinking of the b18 c-r but i might get a b16 engine cause its cheaper.... and quit with the gay jokes.... idiots.. (yeah go home and do this in the mirror :( cause ur idiots)

and iam going to college for mechinics. I rather put the engine my self and modify it, thats boring taking it to the shop and getting it done. I want to build it from the ground up.

posted by  error

Maybe you should start with elementary school to study spelling and grammar. It's amazing how in the process of a few posts you've gone from knowing nothing about your car to "going to college for mechinics" and doing the job yourself. Will wonders never cease?

So this raises the question. If you're so competent with this process, why did you ask the question to begin with?

posted by  vwhobo

sounds like someone got caught? quite possibly... ouch

posted by  mazda6man

um for the fag who likes vw stfu.... ur jokes are weak and u must be gay or some thing.. the way u talk and think ur smart plz man these are forums. who says u gotta write an essay with perfect grammer or spelling u fuckin idiot,

and i never said i didnt know anything about cars idiot.... i was asking how much a shop will charge for an engine swap fucking loser!! get a life

posted by  error

Oddly enough everyone else who has posted in this thread seems to see the same thing I do. Now instead of being just an idiot you've shown yourself to be a homophobic idiot.

I have attempted to lead you to an answer for your question but you're not smart enough to figure it out from there. Some people, like you, expect others to do all the thinking for them but still don't like the results. Maybe you should try the "12 Year Olds Who Want A CRX But Don't Know How To Work On Them" forum, or you could just go piss up a rope. Have a nice day.

posted by  vwhobo

:popcorn:

posted by  SuperJew

i agree :popcorn:

posted by  mazda6man

:twisted: vw bitch shut the fuck up already i told u man ur a fucking loser,now just go and have sex with ur vw, u attempted shit man , ask the shop how much yeah that really helps i think i already know i can ask the shop how much but before i did since this is a CAR FORUM i wanted to see how much it WOULD COST ME! NOW STFU UR NO HELP THE ONLY THING U WAS EEVER GOOD AT WAS FUCKING UR OLD ASS VW BITCH!!!!

NEXT!!

posted by  error

I'm sensing some tension...

posted by  BavarianWheels

I'm sensing that our boy man here is an immature little douche bag.

Yes, I know what you already told me but... Because you're about as useful, and intelligent, as what I just flushed down the toilet I'll simply consider the source. It appears that you are aptly named because I'm quite sure that is how you were conceived, in error. You are insignificant.

We don't need to go over the contents of this thread as it's well chronicled above. Simply put I attemted to help you and you are too stupid/hard headed/prideful, take your pick, to accept it. Calling names and questioning sexuality tends to be quite popular with the under 13 crowd, and you fit the profile quite well. So...

The best part of this is that I still know the answer to your question and how to do the job. You on the other hand don't, won't and probably never will. Have a nice day.

P.S. Does your mommy know you use language like that?

posted by  vwhobo

Wow. Not to stroke my own ego or anything, but maybe you should consider reading this post: http://www.car-forums.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=1438

Seriously, not only did you start a sentence with un-capitalized "and," you started a fucking paragraph with it!

Why does this sentence have 2 periods?

I would ask you how old you are, but you probably can't count that high. I mean, are you always this stupid or are you making a special effort?

By the way, we were not making gay jokes...this is a gay joke:
What did Error say to his gay lover before he went on vacation?
Let me help you pack your shit!

posted by  Widowmaker2k

Why does this sentence have 2 periods? One is a period and one is a douche bag :rolleyes:

posted by  lectroid

actually, there's 4. Ya, Im a smartass

posted by  Satty101

Yep, me too :D

posted by  lectroid

...........smartass :rolleyes: :D

posted by  Satty101

SMARTASS ? I represent that remark !

posted by  lectroid

Your Message