Ceramic brake pads

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Ceramic brake pads

I'm a new member to car forums and I know very little about cars so I thought this could help me. I recently bought a used 2004 Chrysler Sebring Sedan, 2.4 Liter. It's got about 27,000 miles and it needs new brakes. I've called around and one shop said that this make and model needs ceramic brake pads and that it will cost about $140/axle. That seems a little high and I've read that ceramic are better, but not much more expensive. Can anyone give me a recommendation on what brakes I need/recommended and a ballpark figure? I'm fairly sure they are all disc brakes and only the pads need to be replaced. If the rotors were bad, what is an average price for rotors to be replaced as well?

posted by  dmueller2003

A good quality brake job will cost you between $150 and $200 with or without ceramic pads at any of my shops or any other good facility. That price is "done once, done right" and assuming you don't need additional parts such as rotors, calipers, hoses, etc.

Let me tell you a little story about brake prices. Last week I recieved a flyer from a national chain auto repair place in my home mail. In big letters on front it said "lifetime brakes, $29.95". Well I just had to call and get a price check. Using a '95 Dakota 2wd (my work truck) for the example I gave them a call and asked how much to do front brakes. Well after alot of hemming and hawing it was $193. Unless I had "bearings on the front" (their phrase, not mine), then it would be $223. More if I needed grease seals or the rotors resurfaced. It's called bait and switch.

My point is that you need to find an independent shop like mine that will take the time to do your brakes RIGHT with good quality parts. They are your brakes and it is your life after all. Be less concerned about the price and more concerned about the quality and completeness of the job. And don't look at those ads on TV and try to compare the prices because they are bullshit.

posted by  vwhobo

well said i started off working at a muffler shop had sale's scam's like that get people in put cheap parts on and charge a small fortune

posted by  osborste

Thanks for the advice vwhobo. Can you recommend any good brand of brakes pads, rotors, calipers, etc?

posted by  dmueller2003

Do you want stock parts or a performance upgrade?

posted by  vwhobo

chrysler products typically have small rotors,other than the viper of course.
the use of soft pads is neccesary to avoid overheating the rotor.(s).if you go to police brakes or hard pads you can cook the rotors.its all in the design.a 98 corolla has the same size rotor as your car,and it weighs 1500 lbs.less.
ceramic pads are good for high heat applications.a waste of money for normal brakes,because you can replace the rotors with the money.it is better to go to after -market rotors than turn the factory ones to minimum spec.they will just warp and the money for your pads is going to waste.after all ,rotors are made from the cheapest metal that can be made.if a real rotor was made out of say KENNA METAL,they would be 500 bucks each.and weigh 100 lbs.....

posted by  the lobster

and some of the cheap rotors sold by autozone under the name "valurcraft" are not smooth when they come out of the box (the box says they are ready for install - no initial turning required)

If you buy stock type rotors, stick w/ Wagner, Bendix or some other name brand one recognizes

posted by  tbaxleyjr

In opposition to "lobster" some cars call for ceramic pads as direct replacements for factory equipment. If you deviate from original designs you run even more of a risk of premature failure. I do suggest replacing the rotors on that one as well because the design on them does not allow for too much millwork (turning of the rotors) and they are probably close to minimum thickness anyway. Stick with name brands on the pads and if you go with the cheaper rotors, have them trued because they probably are not straight.

posted by  srober32

Or parallel, or round...

posted by  srober32

Your Message