Engine growl

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Engine growl

Hey everyone
just a quick question

Is there anyway to get more of a "growl" out of ur engine exhaust with adding a complete exhaust system....help me out. thanks

posted by  SUVv6

all that pipe from the tail gate right up to the motor just cut it off, and now you have a nice open exhaust, just don't drive with the windows up lol, im being a sarcastic asshole by the way, but to answer your question ...... or ask another....WHY?

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

So it sounds like he's going fast. Three bazillion riceboys with fart cannons can't be wrong. :thumbs:

posted by  vwhobo

That was EXACTLY why i asked "WHY", figures

Put a big intake pipe and pod filter in. The filter won't do anything for performance, but it will get rid of the muffle your standard box is designed to provide.

posted by  Wally

I have a question: Isnt the mufflers job to lower or cancel out the sound of the exhaust gasses? The stock muffers on cars like civics and very silent but when people put on big mufflers they are loud and deeper.. Are theres aftermarkert mufflers just cancel the sound out less? and do they add better flow of the exhaust system because the muffler has to work to silence it less?

posted by  CarEXPERT

I don't understand the complexity of this. Just drill holes in the muffler with a 1/4 inch bit. should work like a charm. But if you really want a good loud sound, one should consider buying a go cart.

posted by  lookbothways

And then drive with your windows up to get the carbon monoxide into your auto and your lungs, pass out and drive off the road, it is an SUV right? In addition to allowing poisonous gasses into the cabin that will also cause premature failure of the muffler and void any type of warranty on the muffler. If you want sound, tape a drag race and play it in your car at top volume with your windows down.

posted by  srober32

Why ask "why"?

posted by  srober32

well, you evidently want to do something about it, regardless of what others' opinions might be, so I would suggest replacing the muffler w/ a flowmaster. that should give you a "growl" with less of the cackling that a glasspack or muffler elimination would give you on a V6.

posted by  dodger65

Does anyone know why?^

posted by  CarEXPERT

why what, exactly?

posted by  dodger65

i would go with dynomax, they have really nice sounding mufflers that really growl if your going along the lines of a new muffler

seems like dynomax is usually less expensive... it's all personal opinion. go to a car show and see who has what mufflers and decide what sound you like. borlas seem to sound like regular turbo mufflers, though, for the record.

posted by  dodger65

Your Message