Question for a 92 Mercury Sable

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Question for a 92 Mercury Sable

Hi,
I'm am about to buy a 1992 Mercury Sale. Now, the lady that i'm buying it from said it needs a new soft plug. Does anyone know what that is and what it might coast? She said there is anoter name for it and that the part keeps the water in the engine.

Thanks,
Dan :D

posted by  mercuryman

She must be a very old lady to call it a "soft plug" as that terminology pretty much disappeared years ago. From your description I'll go out on a limb and tell you that she's talking about a freeze plug or expansion plug. The rest is not so easy.

Your engine (3.0 or 3.8 ) has several freeze plugs, and they only cost a buck or so apiece. The problem is some are easy to access, some not so easy and some require removing the transaxle to replace. So even if you were to replace all of them (a complete kit costs about $10) the price of parts isn't the issue, labor is where it's at. And pulling that transaxle ain't cheap.

Attempting to throw a price at you is pointless because we don't know which one(s) need to be replaced, you're gonna have to have it quoted at a shop if you're having it done. Just know this up front. Freeze plugs usually deteriorate from the inside out due to insufficient anti-freeze in the cooling system. Because of that, normally if one is bad the rest are on the way to being bad. Also you'll find heavy corrosion build up in the cooling system which hurts efficiency. Unless of course the cause is allowing the engine to freeze and one or more popped out, then you have the possibility of a cracked block or heads.

My suggestion is to have the car checked out by a qualified tech prior to purchase. The small fee you'll pay might save you a buttload of money in the long run. Good luck.

posted by  vwhobo

If youre getting the sable for a song and a dance, have it checked out. If not I would look for something else. Little old lady profile don't sound to good.

posted by  lectroid

What if she's from Pasadena? ;)

posted by  vwhobo

It would be a GTO, and I'd go for it. I think.

posted by  lectroid

The little old lady from Pasadena has a "brand new shiny red Super Stock Dodge".

It's the little old lady from Pasadena

Go granny, go granny, go granny go
Got a pretty little flower bed of white gardenias
But parked in her rickety old garage
Is a brand new shiny red Super Stock Dodge

And everybody's saying there's nobody meaner
Than the little old lady from Pasadena
She drives real fast and she drives real hard
She's a terror out on Colorado Boulevard

You can see her on the street just gettin' her kicks now
With her four speed stick and her 426 now
She's gonna get a ticket now sooner or later
'Cause she can't keep her foot off the accelerator

If you see her on the street don't try to choose her
You may drive a goer but you'll never lose her
The guys come to race her from miles around
But she'll give 'em a length then she'll shut 'em down

Granny go
Granny go
Granny go
Granny go

posted by  vwhobo

OOPS, My bad. have to go back to my music library :oops: A mind is a terrible thing :!:

posted by  lectroid

thanks guy's for all the help, she said it was near the bottom, so de hell wit that. She wanted 1,500 for it by the way, and she told me that it might need 4 moretires to pass NYS exp.

Dan:)

posted by  mercuryman

ah another New Yorker....welcome! where in NY are ya?

posted by  SuperJew

Thanks, Well they alway's say this is Central New York but it seems like it's more of Southern New York to me. It's the Binghamton area Owego to be exact, about 80 miles from Syarcuse.

posted by  mercuryman

binghamton is SE new york....im a (relative) northerner, just outside of albany. ever been here?

posted by  SuperJew

:? Yeah, that's true it's more SE, Clifton Park is pretty close to NYC right? (Let me know if that's correct:) My mother moved down to Saddel Brook, NJ, which is pretty close to NYC and I remember her saying something about Clifton Park once so that's why I ask. I've gone threw Albany on vay cay but I've never actually been there:)

posted by  mercuryman

Clifton Park is nowhere near NYC...its about 3 and a half hours away.

posted by  SuperJew

I'd call it close to NYC. That's 10 hours faster then I could make it. ;)

posted by  vwhobo

well yeah vwhobo...of course its all relative. Westchester is closer to NYC than I am.

posted by  SuperJew

Your Message