1982 Toyota Starting Problem

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  1982 Toyota Starting Problem

Hi,

My name is Darlene. I'm new to these forums. I hope I can figure this out!

I have a 1982 Toyota 4x4 Pickup (22R). About a year ago, I started having problems starting my truck (I've been broke for some time. So, I couldn't take it to a mechanic). It would turn over and after about 6 or more times it would start. But, the charge light would be on and the volt gauge would be down. When the rpm's reached about 2400, the light would go out and the volt gauge would pop up to normal. Last winter, it wouldn't start for two weeks (but, would turn over). Finally, someone pulled me and by popping the clutch in gear, it started. It ran ever since (still hard to start with low volts until 2400 rpm). Last week, it wouldn't start at all. I have no one to pull me now. It turns over, but just won't start. I just started a new job and it sure is a pain getting to work.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you, Darlene

posted by  Darlene57

to me it sounds like you have a charging problem, the light on the dash means your alternator is not charging the battery, and if the battery is drained it may turn over slowly but not start, i would have the system tested, meaning test the battery , alternator and starter to find out what the problem is, if everything works fine, you may have a parasitic load on the battery meaning when you turn the car off and keys out of the ignition and you sitting on your couch watching tv, something is draining the battery and you should make sure this is not the case with your truck. good luck :thumbs:

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

Your Message