leving for the repair shop in 10 minutes

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  leving for the repair shop in 10 minutes

Hi I left a message earlier regarding my 92 eagle talon. I am getting ready to go back to the repair shop because my car is riding worse since everything was fixed. Does anyone have any suggestions on something else I might have them look at to figure out what the problem is. below is the message that I posted earlier with all the datails. Please help me if you can

I RECENTLY PERCHASED A 1992 EAGLE TALON 4 CYLYNDER 16 V DOHC. ABOUT 3 MONTHS AGO. i HAVE STARTED HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THE OIL PRESSURE. IF I AM DRIVING AND I COME TO A STOP, FOR EXAMPLE A TRAFFIC LIGHT MY OIL GAUGE GOES DOWN TO ALMOST NOTHING AND THE CAR STARTS SPUTTERING AS IF IT WANT TO CUT OFF, I THROW IT IN NEUTRAL UNTIL THE LIGHT CHANGES AND ONCE I START DRIVING THE OIL PRESSURE GOES BACK UP TO NORMAL. BUT ONCE I STOP AGAIN THE SAME PROBLEM HAPPENS AGAIN. IT IS USUALLY OK WHILE I AM IN MOTION EXCEPT FOR IF I DRIVE A GOOD DISTANCE THEN THE GAUGE WILL GO DOWN AND IT WILL START SPUTTERING WHILE I AM DRIVING. WHEN THIS HAPPENS I IMMEDIATLY GO TO THE FIRST GAS STATION AND CHECK THE OIL, IT IS USUALLY BONE DRY AT THIS POINT SO I ADD OIL, BUT WHEN I GET HOME AND LET THE CAR SIT FOR A FEW HOURS I CHECK THE OIL AGAIN , AND IT SEEMS AS IF ALL THE OIL THAT I THOUGHT WAS GONE RETURNS AND THEN I HAVE TOO MUCH OIL IN THE CAR. SO I TOOK THE CAR TO THE AUTO SHOP AND THEY CHANGED MY VALVE COVER GASKETS, MY OIL RINGS, PC VALVE AND UNCLOGGED 2 LINES THAT THEY SAID WERE CLOGGED. BUT TO MY SURPRISE THE CAR SEEMS TO BE WORSE NOW THAN IT WAS BEFORE. BEFORE IT ONLY DID IT SOMETIMES NOW IT LOSES OIL PRESSURE EVERYTIME I STOP. THIS IS REALLY MAKING ME NERVOUS. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE GIVE ME A CLUE AS TO WHAT MIGHT BE WRONG WITH MY CAR. MY NAME IS JAI, I AM 26 AND I LIVE IN MICHIGAN. THANK YOU FO ANY HELP YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO GIVE ME.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----

posted by  JAI2232

Ahhh... lowercase letters. Much nicer than screaming. :laughing:

Possibly a bad oil pump? Bent cam? If they charged you for all that stuff and gave it back broken, I hope they are either componsating any additional labor with what they have already done, or else I hope you are taking it to a different shop. You shouldn't need to tell them what to look at. Just tell them what it is doing, and if they are competent, they will fix it.

posted by  lookbothways

well i called them today and they told me to bring it backup and they would look at it again and they said on the phone that I probably need a whole new engine. But have a strong feeling that they just want me to pay them to put an engine in my car. Because they had put it on the diagnostic machine and when I asked them for a print out, they told me they had no way of printing it and I had to take their word.

posted by  JAI2232

I also dont mean to sound stupid but what is a cam?........can you tell Im a girl lol

posted by  JAI2232

[I askes them to write down the diagnostic code and he wrote down # 45 enging running ruff.. I asked him f that was what the computer said and he said yes. And I said I told you that when I came in. I tried to look up code 45 on the internet and found nothing. Have you heard of this code

posted by  JAI2232

hm... I wouldn't think a whole new engine would be in order, though it is a possibility as you've been letting this go so long. Don't know about the ability to print out, I've never seen one of those diagnostic things. If you don't know you can trust them, I wouldn't. Take it too a few other places. And the fact that they've already charged you an arm, and now they want the leg, without any positive results yet, I wouldn't trust them.

Things I can think of that would cause your problem not requiring a whole new engine...
*Low oil
*Oil pump could be worn or screen could be clogged with debris
*Camshaft(rotating thing with lifts that cause the valves to open and close) might have an effect on this if bearings are worn.
*worn rings or anyplace where oil might be leaking could cause a problem.
*I think if the breather section of the pcv system maybe could cause a problem if it was loose? I'm not so sure about that...

My knowledge is limited as I have never had to deal with this problem before, but I'd think oil pump from your your description. deffinately get two more opinions first, and never wait three months with an oil pressure problem again! :doh:

Hope this has been somewhat helpful. Remember to keep your arms and legs inside until my thoughts come to a full and complete thought.

[edit: code 45? different codes for all cars far as I know. I'm a backyard hack who has never used a code in his life. Though i have a list of them for my kia. they are typically smething like "P1701" or something like that for it. I have not heard of an "engine runs ruff" code though ;)]

posted by  lookbothways

So oil migrates to somewhere, empties sump to below dipstick tip, oil gauge drops accordingly, pistons and/or crank start siezing and slowing motor, oil returns when not running.

garage has changed : Valve cover gaskets, oil rings and PCV
garage has cleared : two lines.

OK so garage really didn't change the oil rings did they? If they did your bill would be a doozy and you'd have more than valve cover gaskets replaced.

The only way I can think that oil would migrate and stay away is if the oil gallery on top of the head was damming and that is one hell of a big ask. So it's probably only minimal oil return after shutdown (eg ΒΌ") ?

If oil has been blowing out of the valve cover gaskets, the PCV has clagged, oil lines have clagged and the engine is rough idling I would suspect you have badly worn rings. I guess hills have been a bit hard to get up?

This Talon is a mitsubishi yes? And we know how soft mitsubishi rings are don't we, at least here in Oz we do :wink2: be interesting to see what your piston skirts look like.

BTW these garage guys should easily be able to see if you have a compression problem.

Solution = proper diagnostic by someone competent. Intermediate work around is to install a vented catchcan on the oil breather line with gravity feed back to the sump and run thicker oil. But you will probably be up for a recon motor.

Hope I'm wrong.

posted by  Wally

well i went back to the shop that changed my VC gasket and oil rings ( or atleast thats what they wrote on the receipt) Now they had a different guy looking at my car and mind you he works at the same shop. And he said that everything on my car was fine all I needed was a tune up and that it would cost $185. He told me that the oil pressure guage probably always went up and down and I just didnt notice it until my car started shaking and that The oil problem should have been fixed with the work they did yesterday. And the really ruff shaking is due to the need of a tune up. So I decided to get a second opinion and drove to another shop. I told him that the other guys said and told him that i dont what to spend a boat load of money and still have the same problem when I leave. He told me to bring it in tomorrow morning and he will take a closer look at it. I really appreciate everyone helping me. So that I can have some sort of knowledge when I talk to these guys, because I think they all lie to me because they know I dont know. Thank you

posted by  JAI2232

Tel them you big brother Wally want's to know the truth.

posted by  Wally

What engine do you have in your talon and is it an All wheel drive or just front wheel drive.(EDIT) and i cannot for the life of me find code 45, i call shinanigans(double edit) there is such thing as a code 45 for your car but it is a transmission code which states, open circuited pressure control solenoid valve( a whole lotta jarggle but it does mean something trust me :wink2: )and the recommended diagnostic is check solenoid valve connector or bench test the valve, . so thats the only code 45 i can find, sorry i cant help you much more.

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

Unless the transmission is sticking and causing the engine to run slowly (dragging it down) it sounds like the main bearings are worn causing oil to follow the path of least resistance and not go up into the engine. I could be wrong here but It makes sense, nes pa?

posted by  srober32

How could the transmission "stick" and slow down the engine? What do you think all auto-trans do at a stop, they stop rotating. So that is quite impossible.

It may need a tune up, it's possible. If you have any friends that know how to change spark plugs on a car, I'd suggest getting them to do it for you, save you a few bucks. Just change the fuel filter, spark plugs and air filter and see what happens, all that would cost you about $30-$40 for parts, and should take no longer than 45 minutes to do since you have an I4 DOHC engine, really easy to change the plugs on.

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

OOOOO, I feel all hot and crispy, I have been flamed by the biggest flamer on the boards. Is it possible that the car has a lock up tork converter that is not disengaging or am I just talking impossiblities again?

posted by  srober32

Well i have decided to leave the shop that fixed my car alone, because i dont believe that code 45 junk either. I think they just charged me for a diagnostic and didnt actually do one, second I've got 2 different people in the same shop telling me something different, so if they cant agree then I dont know what they expect me to do. Oh and Wally I will tell the shop tat I will be going to today in just a few minutes that you said not to lie to me lol. I have a friend that is going to do a tune up for me tomorrow, and the shop today told me they would try to find out what the problem is. lets cross our fingers.....And thank you everyone....this site is wonderful....everyone is sooooo helpful.

posted by  JAI2232

well my engine says on it eci multi, 16 valve dohc 2000, and it is a 4 cyl., And yeah I think they lied to me about the code thing, they even wrote it on my receipt, they knew I didnt know so they could tell me anything, I thingk they just wanted me to pay to have my engine replaced if it needed it or not.

[

posted by  JAI2232

oh and to answer your question banff, it is front wheel drive

posted by  JAI2232

srober is very right on the torque converter lockup not disengaging, sometimes a hard problem to chase unless the customer gives you some key words like it only does this after i come off the highway. anyway i can't knock or defend the shop because we really don't know the problem, you may in fact have a worn out engine, did they do a compression test or an oil pressure test? but i will say one thing in regards to having your "buddies" do your tune up, yeah it might save you money, lets take an example from a guy who was in my shop yesterday, he had his ever so knowledgable "buddy" do an oil change for him to save a couple of bucks, well buddy drained the oil from the motor and filled the transmission with engine oil, so he siezed his motor and wrote off the tranni and now he has no car and is in it for about 3 or 4 grand. just trying to save a couple of bucks, make sure your friend knows what he's doing

Well i just got back from the shop and they did a tue up, ( when I told him that i was going to have a friend do it for $30 he told me to go and get the parts and he would only charge me $30, How great is that.) So with that price i was able to have the shop do it, I think the reason he charged me sol ittle is because he thinks the guys who changed my valve cover gaskets broke one of my wires and didnt tell me. So the horrible shaking has stopped. Wooohoooo. Now He told me to drive the car for a couple of days and see how my oil does. And to bring it back on monday and he will take a closer look at my oil problem. He said it might be an oil pump needed. ( the other shop did not test the oil pump, compression test or anything) They just immediatly jumped to the concusion that I needed a new engine. He is also going to look to make sure they realy changed my oil rings because I am still having pressure problems. I have been taking all the information I have heard from everyone on here too, because they wont bring something up unless you do. So its nice to be able to ask the mechanic " Well could this be the problem" and they look at you like they are surprised you even know what that is.

posted by  JAI2232

well good to hear you got er figured out :thumbs:

To quote Bill and Ted..."Most Excellent!" :thumbs:
p.s. thank you for replying with the update, we have fragile egos that like to be stroked on occasion. :laughing:

posted by  srober32

Not a problem, i will keep you updated on the final conclusion of the oil problem. I have a lot of driving to do on monday, and if it makes it through the day with out any problems then it was just my vc gasket and clogged oil hoses or whetever you call them if not, you guys have given me a lot of useful information to figure out what it could be. and trust me I will be back, if I have any problems, you guys are great. It is nice to be able to get honest car advice. without thinking your getting ripped off. :clap: :wink2: you guys rock :rock: :thumbs:

posted by  JAI2232

Your Message