1997 Breeze Dies no spark

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  1997 Breeze Dies no spark

1997 Plymouth breeze starts fine runs smooth then dies suddenly after appx 10-15 minutes, no codes, and will restart after appx 5 to 10 minutes, when it will not start there is no spark present, cranks fine. I am leaning towards crankshaft sensor. any help would be greatly appreciated

posted by  impss63

no codes if the sensor was bad i would have thought the computer would see this bad coils or ignition module might also be something to look at

posted by  osborste

I originally thought the same, however I would think it would register some codes if it was coil pack, or module. the reason I was thinking crank sensor is that it might be possible that it is not registering that the engine is actually cranking, thus no codes from any other sensors or modules. what do you think??

posted by  impss63

I was thinking along same lines however I would think it would register codes, That is why I am now thinking crank sensor, possibly not registering that the engine is cranking, thus no codes, what do you think?

posted by  impss63

then if the crank lost the signal the cam sensor would still pickup the engines rotation but then you should have a service engine light (does the light come on durning the bulb test starting the car?) bad coil or module or sensor the ecm should be picking it up and lighting service engine this very odd looking at the wiring diagram possiable auto shut down relay this would kill coil and injection on all engine's 2.0 2.4 and 2.5L

posted by  osborste

The CEL is fine, comes on with ignition on, I tried reading codes with Davis reader, no codes, even forced a map sensor code by unplugging sensor, it stored that code and light went on, whatever it is it is not registering any codes, Stumped here

posted by  impss63

i also forgot to include that the asd relay supplies power to part of the ecm if the relay is bad or a bad power connection to it it would be like turning the key off

posted by  osborste

Sounds like the crank sensor.

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

so why is the ecm not picking up the signal loss of the crank and the rotation of the cam i'm thinking power loss at the ecm

posted by  osborste

It won't pick up that the crank sensor is bad. Are you sure it even has a cam sensor? I've never heard of an engine sending a code because of a bad crank sensor. It also wouldn't send a code if the coil was bad, so that's also a possibility.

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

engine does have a cam sensor, I have not yet checked the coil pack, will check that but I would think if the computer was picking up the cranking from the crank sensor it would give a code for misfire if the coil was bad, Am I thinking correctly?

posted by  impss63

I did try switching out the ASD relay, still had same problem

posted by  impss63

p1391 intermittent loss of either camshaft or crankshaft position sensor so the ecm does look at the sensors output for engine load and adjusting timing

p1398 crank position sensor target windows have too much variation
if the sensors bad it has to trip a code
i'm still thinking the ecm has lost power

posted by  osborste

Went and checked Crankshaft sensor and found wires to the sensor damaged and corroded, Cleaned and spliced wires soldering connections and seems to have corrected the problem. On another note I disconnected the crankshaft sensor to see if it would generate a code, It did not generate any code. I want to thank all who replied for their help

posted by  impss63

Your Message