Car not driven for 2 years

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Car not driven for 2 years

My grandmother has offered to give me her Chevy Malibu. However, there is a catch: this car has not been driven (or even started) in about 2 years. This is because my grandmother's health deteriorated to the point that she was no longer able to drive the car.

Before I accept my grandmother's offer to give me the car, I want to get a sense of what damage tends to occur when a car sits for 2 years. The car is about 4 years old and only has about 20,000 miles on it (it was mainly used for drives to a nearby grocery store). As far as I am aware, it was in excellent condition up until my grandmother stopped using it. The car has been kept inside a garage for the entire period that it was sitting.

Can anyone give me a sense of the type of problems that would likely arise as a result of my grandmother's failure to use the car? I assume that some repairs will be necessary, but are they likely to be minor repairs or very extensive repairs?

I should note that I do not intend to fix the car on my own. Rather, if I accept my grandmother's gift, I will take the car to a mechanic to have it repaired.

Thanks for your help.

posted by  JNN3

i would suspect the battery will be dead sitting for 2yrs no charge
an oil change and have the brake's checked may need just a quick service lube of slider pins or the pads and rotors may need to be replaced from sitting and the moisture in the air can rust rotor's and pad's rear brake's as well
you may want to check the air filter as mice and other small animals may find there way in to the air box and making it a new home how much fuel was left in the tank this may give you some trouble

posted by  osborste

Brakes will be fine, rust will get removed after first few miles of city driving. All rotors rust if they sit even a day or two, mine were covered in rust after sitting for a day and a half while I was dropping out the oil pan. Everything you listed isn't really a problem, now here's the real problems:

The seals may have dried up from sitting for so long without being ran. They may need replacing, you'll find out if you spot any leaks.

Depending on how much fuel was in the tank it may have started to rust inside and may need a new tank/get the tank repaired, and possibly a new fuel pump if it was low (as it will rust too).

You're going to have to get the fuel pumped out, or if it was low, just put some new fuel in it and let it burn it all until it runs out.

Take it to a local mechanic and get a motovac system to run through it to clean out all the fuel lines and injectors.

Then just get a full tune-up done to it.

Take the car. If you don't I'd gladly accept it, I love the body style of those cars.

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

yah i know rotor's will rust in a day or two(surface rust) this car has sat for 2yrs it going to be more than surface

posted by  osborste

You both are talking out your ass. Take your grandmothers car to a mic-a nic. I suggest VW homo. Yor not doing the work yourself so it really doesn't matter. As you can see you can get different anwsers all day long here. Find a garage that you fill comfortable with, and take it in . And They'll let you know what should be done. People around here can only guess and pretend to be mechanics. HaHa Smile. Its All in FUN

posted by  Tiffany

hey tiffany go put on some lipstick and some of us don't have to pretend

posted by  osborste

haha, bam.

It'll still just be surface rust, they don't really deteriorate very quickly. We have some rotors and drums at our shop that have been sitting there since I can remember, they could easily be brought back to life with a little scotch bright. And a 73 (I think) corvette stingray that has been sitting on our yard for 2 years now, awaiting an engine which we just got a few weeks ago, the rotors could easily be brought back to life on that too, I know this because I had to replace the wheels after they were stolen.....

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

Your right, I really don't think that there will be any problems what so ever. And for you Ozzie. Your should try putting on some lipstick, and try on my high heels for a day. You might like just like it. Love ya Tiff.

posted by  Tiffany

ankle breaking high? I bet they are around an oily workshop. :laughing:

posted by  windsonian

so you kind of agree they will need service is that not what i had posted have them checked the car was driver and then parked (wear and tear)

posted by  osborste

Nah, the pads will rub any rust off

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

any rust huh so now your giving up on your scotchbrite pads huh like i said earlier have the brake's checked.

posted by  osborste

haha, I was using scotch brite as an example as to how much rust would be on them, not much :P Anything scotchbrite can take off, the brake pads will. It doesn't hurt to get them checked, sure, but shouldn't be the #1 priority, I'd get the seals checked as my priority.

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

So having the rust worn off by the pads is acceptable? I don't think so. If you want to get into a pissing contest about it then go ahead, but rust is much harder than steel and will wear the pads more than they need to be. If the car was stored anywhere with high levels of humidity then I would have the rotors removed, re-surfaced and checked for thickness so that you do not wear the pads prematurely.

posted by  srober32

yea i would get that tranny and timing cover pulled to check those oil seals. who needs brakes right?

I would get a routine safety inspection done and probably siphon as much gas out as i could (use it in your lawnmower or something, i wouldn't risk running it through your engine).

posted by  carls47807

Your Message