VW Passat

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  VW Passat

Good evening all. I'm GM from central Arkansas. I have a problem with my dauthers car. It's a 1995 VW Passat sedan. the two back doors wount open
from inside or out. When you turn the key in the drivers door the push locks
come up like they should but you can't open them .I purchased the VW service manual on CD but it didn't help. If anyone has any ideal how to open them it would be a big help.
Thanks to All

GM

posted by  GMorrow

It's not impossible but very odd for two doors to quit working at the same time on any car. There has to be something simple that you're missing. Have you checked the child safety locks?

posted by  vwhobo

It has child safety locks but its a small lever on the lock itself that you flip when the door is open.AT least that was what I was told.I run a check for
air leaks on the locking system an doesn't seam to be any.Itis prouble the something I'm over looking.The service manual doesnt even show the chid safety locks

posted by  GMorrow

What brand of manual (CD) do you have?

posted by  vwhobo

95-97 VW Passat Service Manual on CD

posted by  GMorrow

I got that, but what brand. Mitchell, Chiltons or Bentley?

posted by  vwhobo

Sory about that it's a Haynes

posted by  GMorrow

Didn't get any time to think about this today except to say... Get the Bentley manual or CD. There's a reason they write them for the factory.

posted by  vwhobo

Checked on a Bentley book on ebay for 119.00 ,checked at Barns and Nobel
book store. Last I went to Bentley web site an they haveit to where you can
buy a book or CD or sign up to their site for 3, 7,or 30 days for a price an download factory repair info. the 3 day one is 19.95 isnt a bad deal.I have already bought a Chilton import car repair manual an a Haynes service and repair CD on this car. So I think I'll thry the Bentley repair manual over the net before I buy it .Thanks a lot for takeing the time to try an help
Have a Good Day
GM

posted by  GMorrow

http://catalog.eautopartscatalog.com/bimmerzone/quote.jsp?header=header.jsp &footer=footer.jsp&product=Z1003-105568&partner=bimmerzone&baseurl=http://w ww.bimmerzone.com/&clientid=bimmerzone.com&cookieid=1HL1CM6E11HL1CM6DM

posted by  vwhobo

GM-

Did you ever fix this problem? Please share.

I own a 1996 VW Passat. Back left door didn't open inside or out, so have just been using the other back door. Had no idea about the problem even took it to dealer, and other repair shops and always ask if they can fix it. Nobody knew. This morning the same thing happened to the other rear door. Except this time I know the problem. Passat door handles are very tempermental. They always break from the outside. I have had the front door handles fixed and/or replaced on different occasions. What happened this morning on the back door is that the outside handle must of broke. I flipped a switch on the door to see if it would fix the problem. I now know that switch to be the child door locks. :laughing: :doh: So, now the door doesn't open from the inside or the outside. Neither back door opens-- inside or outside.

How to fix? No idea right now. Because to fix the outside handle you have to open the door. And to unlock the child lock you have to have the door open. Another brilliant design element of VW's.

Anyone ever come up with a fix? Some repair shops have said they would have to figure out how to get the whole door off and then essentially replace the whole door.

posted by  MBautoforum

get the inner door panel off somehow. b/c whether you do it or someone else does, that's what has to happen...

posted by  dodger65

I have the same problem with my 97. Now the front two doors will not open from the outside, and you have to "prime" the handles on the back doors before they will open. The front passenger door went out three years ago. Dealer claims they have never seen the problem before, but I will live with it until I know there is an answer before they milk me for door parts to be replaced. Very frustrating that no one has heard of this...

posted by  TYGERPAWZ

So are you looking for help, or are you venting your frustration? Either way, you do realise that this thread is nearly 2-years old, don't you? :mrgreen:

posted by  Cliffy

Your Message