Subaru Advice

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Subaru Advice

Hey.. Im looking at buying a 1994 Subaru RS legacy, 2L Twin Turbo, Manual. I know the people who own it, and I know it has been looked after... my only problem is it has very high mileage. The cam belts and coils were all done recently, but the vehicle still has 206,000k on the clock.. is this liable to affect the turbo and the engine?

posted by  Osiris

umm, yes

posted by  srober32

OK this much I know... but what else can I do to prevent the damage? Is there much I could to to the engine to prevent it from going wrong?

And does anyone know if a BOV can be added, as the dealer said they dont have them :ohcrap:

posted by  Osiris

Miles or Kilometers? If that's km then it's not so bad...

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

You know you had me convinced some advice would be worthwhile until you asked about a BOV.

Do you know what happens to all that crankcase vapour you expel to atmosphere when it cracks open? Do you know what happens to fueling when the computer gets false readings? Do you know that psssht sound labels you as childish?

posted by  Wally

The question about a BOV is because yes, Im 19, and yes... I think the pssh sound is cool, but also because when Turbo's were explained to me, I was told the BOV keeps it spooling and reduces lag between gear changes.... I would appreciate any advice you can give me on the maintenance of the engine, as I know next to nothing about the turbo... and its Kilometres.

posted by  Osiris

You have mail.

The engine should already have a recirculating bypass valve fitted, so the BOV thing is not required to inhibit flow stall. The turbine will continue to spool regardless of closed throttle body because it is doing less work, although the exhaust gases will not be flowing as much anyway.

posted by  Wally

Well that answers that question.. cheers Wally. As for the engine having done such high K's. I know it has had the belts, coil and the likes done. The check I had done before it has shown the power steering resovoir is leaking, is this an easy job to do? And with the car having so many K's is it worth having an engine recon done?

posted by  Osiris

Assuming it's just a power steering hose leaking, sometimes they're big jobs, usually they're not too big though. Engines usually last around 300k, so your engine most likely has a lot of life left in it. By "recon" do you mean re-build, if so.. engine still runs so it would be somewhat pointless.

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

I mean sending it in for a recondition, having everything pulled apart, cleaned/grinded down, mainly the cylinders and having the turbo reconditioned... 200k is a lot for a 94 car and I don't want the car to go boom on me.

posted by  Osiris

200k isn't a lot for a '94 car. My car had 290k on it before the engine poofed, and it's an 88, so that's even more for an 88 car, since newer cars engines and trannys gennerally last longer. The engine failur could have been avoided if I replaced the head-gasket at work vs. trying to get it home, and the car still has the original tranny and it's at 299k right now. I wouldn't bother getting the engine re-built, since that is what you're saying. It's a lot of money to do. Just R&R of the engine would be about $800-$1000, then the re-build, a good $1000+ on top of that. Just wait for the engine to blow and get a new used one for about $500... You're also leaving out the tranny too. Why not get the trans re-built too while you're at it, they last about the same as an engine after-all. So now you're looking at about $4000 for nothing... Wait for stuff to break then replace, don't replace them before they break.

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

all the engine parts are worn in perspective,and check the compression against new,that will give you an idea of whats left.that model year is famous for cooking catalytic converters.use a very high quality oil,or better yet,synthetic.

posted by  the lobster

Compression rates were all tested at near new... and I have been using synthetic.. I belive the car has had extra work done to it.. the second turbo is bigger than standard. The turbo can also be heard sucking in a lot more air compared to the standard model...

posted by  Osiris

Your Message