97 Honda Passport - Help

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  97 Honda Passport - Help

Hi,

I'm a new member here and would like to ask your valuable repair experience.
Here's my car information:

Brand: Honda (Passport)
Year: 1997

Last month I had my car checked and was suggested to replace some belts and power steering pump. I followed the suggestions and changed all the required belts and power steering pump. After 3 weeks, a problem came out, everytime I start the engine, it accompanies with a "huge screeching sound" for 10-20 seconds. It's getting worse day by day.
It's hard for me to find out where the sound came out, (undeaneath my car or near engine) Actually, this problem didn't happen before.

I look forward to hearing from you guys.

Thanks
dc10

posted by  dc10

tighten ur belts.. its occurs more on morning starts?

posted by  thongsai

you might want to just replce them. they're probably pretty glazed by now

posted by  dodger65

Have a look at the belts, if they are shiny, cracked or frayed then replace them, if not just tighten them up, and unless you have a tension gage be very careful not to over tighten them.

posted by  srober32

Thanks for your opnions.
As thongsai said, it always happens in the morning. One thing I have to mention here is:

When I drive the car for a while and restart the engine again within 30 minutes or so, the "huge screeching sound" is temporarily diminished/or even cannot be heard.

Do you guys have any further suggestions?

Thanks again.
dc10

posted by  dc10

The belts are at the very least loose.

posted by  srober32

Do you have any idea? I had 3 belts changed last month.
Many thanks

dc10

posted by  dc10

yes.... the belts are probably loose and need to be adjusted or replaced. the mechanic probably didn't get the belt tension right

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

on serpentine belts, u dont need to adjust.. but im gonna assume u have a standard v-belt.. which needs to be adjusted and recommended to be re-tighten after 15 mins of first install.

posted by  thongsai

Or the belt could be contaminated, like with power steering fluid, or it could be a bad tensioner on the serpentine belt (pretty sure that is the type of belt on this car).

posted by  srober32

Once again you become the thread "moron who knows not of which he speaks". When exactly did serpentine belts become fully self adjusting? Many cars have serpentine belts with automatic tensioners, but... Many other cars, especially Asian cars have serpentine belts which require manual adjustment. Some Jap cars have as many as three seperate serpentine belts which all need to be manually adjusted.

I'll ask you again as I have before. Why don't you just shut the hell up with your "guesses and/or suggestions"? All you do with your mis-information is confuse people who are already on the verge of confusion. And save your indignant "don't be mean, I'm trying to help" bullshit. The best thing you could do to help is not type.

posted by  vwhobo

Make sure that all of the pullies spin freely and are not loose, especially if you have put three belts on it lately.

posted by  srober32

Your Message