Car using oil every 2 tanks of Gas

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Car using oil every 2 tanks of Gas

Hi, I was wondering if someone can help me with this problem. I have a 2000 Chevy Cavalier 2.4 engine and every 2 tanks of gas (800-1000 Kms) I have to put a Litre of oil in my engine.I have approx. 113,000 kms on my car and l get my oil changed every 4,000 Kms. I have been told that maybe it could be the O rings around the valves or the guide arms. Any or all help will be greatly appreicated.

Dave

posted by  PhoneTech

First off do you see any blueish white smoke on start up ? Any smoke while driving ? Blueish puff of smoke at start up could mean valve seals, smoke while driving could be blow by. Also do you do alot of highway driving ? A lot of highway driving at 70-75mph can cause that lttle 4cyl to use a liter every 1,000 miles. My little toyota 4cyl has no smoke or leaks and it uses a quart every 1,000 miles because of a lot of highway driving !

posted by  ode94

I get no puffs of smoke on start-up or I don't see any while driving. I haven't noticed any oil spots on the driveway. I also do not do a lot of highway driving mostly in the city where speeds do not exceed 80 Kph (50 Mph)

posted by  PhoneTech

Lift you breather pipe off the valve cover and look to see if lots of vapour flows out while the (hot) engine is idling. If it does you probably have blowby. A compression and possibly a leakdown test is the order of the day.

Running too rich can also chew oil.

You might like to have the PCV checked as well, just incase it's clagged.

posted by  Wally

well if it is a 32v Northstar motor then that is what GM specifies as acceptable, maybe run a higher viscosity oil.

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

So you're saying they have 8 valves per cyl? :screwy: Last I heard 2.4's were DOHC 12v :roll:

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

i was just saying it isn't outrageous even if you own a 45,000$ car like a caddilac, next time i'll clarify that im using an example, but thanks for playing the game of "JUMPING TO CONCLUSIONS" :ohcrap:

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

Anytime :)

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

The car might not be smoking if the catalytic converter is burning the oily smoke off, check that the PCV is working properly and have a compression test done. As for higher viscosity oil you could add one half pint of Lucas oil treatment at the next oil change, which I would also recommend soon.

posted by  srober32

Or 250ml if you will :thumbs:

posted by  srober32

Your Message