Weird Electric Problem

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Weird Electric Problem

Ok I just replaced the starter on my car 2 weeks ago. Was working fine for a week and now everyonce in awhile when I go out to my car in the morning I put the key in the ignition turn it and the cars totally dead.. No lights nothing.. I get out Push the car a bit and it starts up. Now yesterday I turned the key sat in my car scratching my head for a bit when it was dead again and then magically the lights and everything came on again. Tonight I just noticed when I was leaving work that when I hit my brakes my lights go dim. Also while I was parked I put my car in drive with my foot on the brake and the RPMS went all the way over red line while I did not hear the engine rive at all. The car lights and dashboard lights almost totally went out and was idling at 2000 RPMs when it usally idles around 1100. That brings me to another point. Sometimes when I start my car the RPMs skip around for awhile from 1000 all the way up to 2200 RPMs and finally settle down after a few minutes.

Car: 1993 Mercury Topaz GS
Engine: 2.3 L Fuel Injected 77,000 Miles
Recent Notes: Starter Replaced, Fuel Filter Replaced, New Oil/Oil Filter, Air Filter, 1 Neon Light on the inside.

posted by  EvilPodAE

check your grounds. have your battery & charging system checked, a bad cell or alternator can do weird stuff like that. the chain auto parts stores can do that for free, but if you can find a shop that sells interstate batteries, they might have an analyzer that's a little more descriptive. that is also free.

posted by  dodger65

I am going to check that ground on the starter tommorrow morning. I dont think I tightened it all the way now that I think of it. I meant to after I started the car to try out the new starter but totally forgot. Alright Ill see how it goes tommorrow. Thanks

posted by  EvilPodAE

Sounds like you may have a couple loose ends. Make sure your battery terminals are tight, and clean them out to be sure they're making full contact, then check the connections on the starter and make sure they're tight.

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

Ok I found out that the Postive battery cable is corroded. I just bought a new battery cable today. All thats to it is taking the old wire out and putting the new one in right?

posted by  EvilPodAE

Sometimes, yes. Don't know about your car. Why didn't you clean off the battery cable? Assuming it's just the connector also, why not just get a new connector for the battery? They're easy to replace on pretty much any vehicle other than GM, in america anyway, German's are easily the worst.. some german car I did had if I remember correctly, 7 battery cables attached to the positive terminal alone, there were 10 in total I think. So that's my suggestion, replace the connector and return your cable.

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

That cable should be easy to replace, just make sure you do not over tighten the nut on the solenoid too much as you could strip it or break the housing. Also make sure to clean the battery and posts on the battery, I use baking soda and water to neutralize the acid on top of the battery and a wire brush to shine the posts up. Make sure not to get any of the baking soda mix into the battery cells though, you will end up with a dead battery if you do.

posted by  srober32

Your Message