98 jeep cherokee front bearing

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  98 jeep cherokee front bearing

Hello all, does anybody know where i could find an exploded view of a 98 jeep cherokee 4x4 axel assy? Or have any info on this subject? I need to change the front driverside axel bearing seal and u-joint, and don't really want to tear into it blind. I would like to know what all I'm going to need and have it waiting on hand. Anyway, Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

posted by  onebad302ranger

get a manual it will help you with other problem's later. not going to be easy and your going to probably need an wheel bearing nut socket(special socket for 4x4 axels)probably rent/buy it from your local parts store

posted by  osborste

Thanks, i appreciate the post. What I am trying to do is change a seal in the front axel and am not really doing to good getting all the parts ready in advance. I did buy a manual, actually 2 of them (chiltons and a haynes) and there about worthless on this topic. I also went to autozone for help. (This was also pretty worthless, lol) So I then checked a Jeep dealer and they say theres no bearing in the axel tube at all. Just the seal which they have for about $10. But at any rate i will find out this weekend exactly what is going on. Thanks again for the advice.

by the sound of what i'm reading in your post it looks like the front end will be close to a newer chevy truck or front wheel drive car having a cv axle with a big nut on the end at the rotor and other end will fit in or bolt on to the front diff and the seal will be inside between the avle stub and bearing
if you have done a front wheel drive car cv avle you should have little or no trouble good luck

posted by  osborste

Thanks Again, Your pretty acurite on what is there, i am going to tackle it tomarrow. I now have all the parts and tools i need lined up (I think). i was going to do it earlier in the week but found that i don't have a 36mm socket for the wheel nut. and as far as the axel seal goes, i wish i had a half shaft going to the front diff. that i could just unbolt, for this job i will have to tear into the pig and pull the c clip. I've done it on some fords, but never on a mopar. should be somewhat similar. Thanks

try to pull the half shaft out before tearing into the diff may just slide into a gear on a toothed spline with no c-clip

posted by  osborste

Your Message