TA mount?

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  TA mount?

I have a 2001 Saturn SL1 four door sedan. I was recently told I needed a new TA mount. Can anyone tell me what that is? I would like to know if that's something I could fix myself, and how. I'm pretty much a dunce when it comes to automotive stuff, but would like to learn. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Paul

posted by  phipps

I would assume that the "TA mount" would be a transaxle mount. As to whether or not you could replace it yourself, that would depend upon the tools/equipment needed versus those available to you, and of course upon your skill level.

Pick up a Haynes manual for the car and look through the procedure to see what it involves...

posted by  cpprioli

My skill level regarding automotive work is pretty low, but I will check the Haynes manual you mentioned. A "transaxle mount" sounds like it could be it. They said that it would cause the dashboard to vibrate/shake if it was not fixed, does that sound right?

posted by  phipps

a bad tire could cause the dashboard to shake, thousands of things could. any other problems to help with the diagnosis?

posted by  carls47807

The shaking in the dash was just a symptom they had mentioned in regard to the 'TA Mount' - they said the TA Mount is sort of horseshoe shaped, does that sound like a 'transaxle mount'?

posted by  phipps

as is customary i would get a second opinion by another local trusted garage if you do not have the tools or experience to check the mounts yourself.

one standard procedure is to put the car in park, and rock it back and forth with the hood open. a bad transaxle or engine mount will typically cause excessive backwards and forwards movement of the engine and drivetrain. again, this may be hard if you don't know what can be considered excessive movement, but give it a shot and see if you notice it going wacko. sometimes when the mounts are real bad you can actually see them bottom out and make a clunking noise (in which case you would want to get it replaced.)

posted by  carls47807

I will try that, and thanks for the help.

posted by  phipps

Your Message