carburetor problem..

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  carburetor problem..

Car - 1965 Ford Fairlane 289 V8
Not sure what kind of carb it is. Here's a picture of what it sort of looks like.
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/autopartsphotos/carbs/1406a.jpg

Problem : Butterfly flap on the top doesnt move but about 1 inch.

I have tampered with screws, and tried to tighten stuff up, not much success, problem is, i gotta get that butterfly flap open more than it is. I have taken off the black circle box on the side(not sure what its called), and then put it back on, and tightened it up, and loosened, neither worked. im not sure how i could fix the problem?? and suggestions?

posted by  65t0wel

Terms: butterfly flap translates into "choke plate." Circle box on the side translates into "choke coil." Electric, I suppose.

Try to open and close the choke plate with your hand. Should open and close easily when operating properly, and snap shut when cold, vertical (fully open) when engine is hot. If it doesn't open and close freely, bindage is your problem & that you will have to find. If it does open and shut freely, but doesnt open fully when engine is hot, either your coil is bad, not getting power, or needs adjustment.

Use the above and tell me what your problem is and I'll tell you how to fix it.

posted by  DodgeRida67

i checked the coil, all the wires are hooked up correctly..the 'choke plate' does open when i push down on it, no binding that i can feel. but i could be wrong... what could i check to see if something is the problem?

posted by  65t0wel

anyway i can check the coil though?

posted by  65t0wel

If the choke plate doesnt open, you have binding. It's up to you to find out what is binding, I can't see your carburetor.

posted by  DodgeRida67

thanks for your help, i guess i will start some trial and error on the carb.

posted by  65t0wel

Here is an idea, take off the choke spring assembly, take it to the parts store, take a look at it next to the replacement and I think you will find that the old one and the new one have the end of the coil in two different clock positions. Buy the new one, install it on the carb, time (adjust) it properly, and have a working choke.

posted by  srober32

Well genius, that just might work if the plate would open. If he can't open it by hand I'm damn sure a retracting coil can't do it. Like I already said, he has binding and needs to find it.

posted by  DodgeRida67

well, he did say that there was "no binding that I can feel"

posted by  dodger65

Maybe he's stupid or something because obviously if it won't open... then... something is... stuck? Yeah, that equals binding. :thumbs:

EDIT: Actually, I read it wrong. Choke seemingly will fix the trouble. :oops:

posted by  DodgeRida67

i guess i'm wondering if he means "won't open....period" or " won't open by itself".... 65towel?

oh, just read your edit... didn't realize this could be done... :hi:

i meant editing... :mrgreen:

posted by  dodger65

Was gonna post a smart ass answer but don't realy feel like it. :laughing:

posted by  srober32

Your Message