Changing timing gears and chains

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Changing timing gears and chains

Just thought i would ask people that know something about cars if it is okay to just change the Timing Chain, without changing the Timing Gears on a vehicle such equipped with the forestated components.

Is it just recommended to change the timing chain while running it on old timing gears? Or do most good mechanics buy a Timing Chain Set, and replace everything?

Feedback appreciated.

posted by  carls47807

I guess it depends on the condition of the gears. Are the teeth intact without too much wear? When the new chain is installed with the old gears is it loose?

posted by  srober32

Ask yourself this: Do mechanics change the timing belt gear if it's not necessary?

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

i mean, we aren't even talking about timing belts here. we are talking about timing chains. i don't think too many mechanics change timing belt gears.

posted by  carls47807

Does that not answer your question? If there's no need to do something, why bother?

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

dude, do you know the difference between a timing belt and a timing chain? timing chains usually have metal gears and a metal chain.

most timing belts are a rubber belt that run on metal crank and cam pulleys.

to clarify, we are talking about timing CHAINS here, i'm not asking about TIMING BELTS. Completely different animals. if you are going to post about timing belts start a new thread

I am asking if most good mechanics change timing gears when they change their Timing CHAINS, or if it is acceptabe to just change the chain.

posted by  carls47807

Myself, I would change the gears and the chain, that way you know they are good. And when did timing belts enter into this? Oh, I see :doh: .

posted by  srober32

I do know the difference, but both apply to one-another. Rubber will wear metal too you know, it won't rip it apart like a chain can, but it will make the teeth wear slowly but surely. There's also nothing cooling a belt, where-as a chain gets cooled by the oil, and oil also lubricates it, which the belt doesn't get. All of the above is why chains last much longer than belts.

Among the rare occurance of a timing chain exploding on you, as long as the sprockets are not damaged in any way, it is completely acceptable to replace just the chain.

From what I've seen though, at least one sprocket (generally the one on the crank) gets damaged so they get replaced.

posted by  88GrandPrixSE

This from the guy who doesn't remove the intake to remove the heads.

posted by  srober32

yeah, a timing belt wearing your gears out is like tires wearing your wheels out. or peoples shoes wearing out their floorpans. etc.

posted by  carls47807

if there is enough mileage that you are replacing the chain,the gears more than likely have some wear,especially on the stress side of the gear.it is alot better to do the job properly.otherwise you could find a set of gears with 500000 km .then of course is the question of the camshaft condition...

posted by  the lobster

why did he leave? ^

posted by  99integra

clearly he was an idiot, maybe that's why.

posted by  carls47807

and btw, the reason I even posted this question was because I was doing an old 283 out of a chris craft and I couldn't get the crank gear off (there was a drive gear pressed on over it as well). i ended up changing just the cam gear and it turned out alright, a little looser than i would have liked but what can you do.

posted by  carls47807

get a puller and take it off...:2cents:

posted by  dodger65

pretty sure i tried that. heated it up, brought it all the way to a machine shop, they couldn't get it off either.

besides, the drive gear is worth more than the crank, you can't buy them. if i would have broken that i would have been screwed. i should have just cut the crank up, but I hate to do that.

this is what it looked like, you can see it on the end of the crank. i've changed them before and never had a prob.

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/1537619059079350470keUXdM

posted by  carls47807

Your Message