Maxima Transmission won't shift into gear

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Maxima Transmission won't shift into gear

Hello, I am new here.

My bro-in-law has a 1991 nissan maxima 3.0 auto with a transmission problem. the transmission will not go into any gear. a mechanic told him it was either the pump or torque converter, but with a cooling line removed fluid pumps out fine which he sait it wouldn't do with either prob. The engine rpm rises when the shift lever is moved which tells me that the computer is trying to do something.

I am not sure what to do here. They just had a baby a couple of weeks ago, and my wife has to go pich them up if they need to go anywhere. they live about 30 miles away.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanx...Adam D.

posted by  Brunsace

from my personal experiences and horrible luck, when my cars stopped going into gear there were internal problems with the transmission. it could be something stupid (like a tranny solenoid, if it even has one) but if NONE of your gears are working it seems like it may be more serious than that. (i am no expert on nissan's).

i would start the car up and check the transmission fluid, make sure it is at the proper level. i would also check to see if the fluid smells burnt, or looks dark. if either of those are true i would do a filter and fluid change, paying special attention to the condition of the valve body and possible sludge build up.

good luck. check the fluid first!

posted by  carls47807

Also check that the linkage is intact.

posted by  srober32

Your Message