trying to paint my car......

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  trying to paint my car......

Ok so, im trying to paint my car and i dont have any real experience doing this. Im trying to do this for as cheap as possible and im leaning towards acrilic enamel. but im not sure about how to mix it or what size nozzle to use on my gun. Any help would be appreciated.

posted by  h34vy_duty

go to your local parts plus and they should carry gallons of Plasti-cote enamel. the colors are about 40 to 50 bucks a gallon (they have red, white, off white, yellow, green, black, silver and a couple others). i have not sprayed with them before but i would imagine they would be fine for a first time paint job. the reducer is only 7 dollars a quart. they will be able to help you out further.

posted by  carls47807

Just go to maaco, they sandblast, body, and paint your car for like $350.

posted by  SUVv6

well, i would go to maco but im really just trying to learn how to paint, so thats out of the question. Plus most likely im going to get the same product as maco if i do it myself.

posted by  h34vy_duty

that's why i would go with the cheap 50 dollar gallons. they sell the primer/surface and primer sealer as well. it'll make a great starter paint and a lot less expensive if you royally screw it up.

posted by  carls47807

by the way - i painted the corvair in the picture with ppg acrylic enamel. it is called concept, and it is by far the best product i have ever sprayed with (aside from lacquer). if you want to do a real nice job later on down the road i would use this.

posted by  carls47807

alright, but does it realy matter what size nozzle i use on my gun, and do i need to put a primer down first if ive already wet sanded

posted by  h34vy_duty

i would suggest using a primer sealer that is compatible with the brand of paint you are buying. that way the top coat will cover a lot better and you won't get any surprises (like bubbling or dull spots).

as far as nozzle sizes, i just use the one that came on my binks sprayer. the best way to learn to paint is by trial and error. if you are going to be painting a lot i would buy a high volume-low pressure gravity fed spray gun. i'm no expert on nozzles, sorry.

posted by  carls47807

I already bought a hvlp gun, so at least im moving in the right direction. Hopefully i will learn somthing about this prosses b/c my car is looking pretty pathetic right know.

posted by  h34vy_duty

i would suggest taking every removable part off the vehicle to help keep the overspray down (overspray and dirt are going to be your biggest fears). I always pull the hood, trun, doors, and fenders if possible. just be careful and have many hands when putting it all back together. also, if you can get any of the window moldings off without breaking anything i would do that as well. otherwise make sure you sand real good and paint real close to them (they will chip if you don't)

posted by  carls47807

what are you painting anyways?

posted by  carls47807

Its a 96 firebird, and i already have the front and rear bumpers off, along with the hood, hatch front fenders and the side mirrors. At this point i just want it to be one uniformed colour, b/c right now its red black and white.....nothing matches.

posted by  h34vy_duty

haha, i hear you

you are going to need to put an additive in the paint to spray the rubber bumpers or they will crack. always something with these cars i tell ya.

take some pics of the process though, i'd love to see them.

posted by  carls47807

Whats the additive called, b/c the front fenders are the same material, i think? Well, there not metal and are pretty flexable. Oh God......i think the water just rushed over my head on this one.....LOL

posted by  h34vy_duty

i got this off the following web site:
http://www.montanabigsky.com/bigsky.htm

but there are hundreds of other brands out there that will serve the same purpose. talk to your local parts stores to get more information. depending on the brand you go with, the brand of flex additive will probably change. just make sure it is compatible with acrylic enamel.

Adhesion Promoter MP1230™ Prep-A-Flex : MP1230™ Prep-a-Flex is designed to promote and increase plastic parts acceptance of topcoats by using a special polymer that has excellent adhesion to plastics.

it may sound like a lot but if i can do it anybody can do it.

posted by  carls47807

Thanks for your help. I'll post a pic when i get it done......whenever that is.... :ohcrap:

posted by  h34vy_duty

Your Message