92 dodge caravan - chime - ding -ding

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  92 dodge caravan - chime - ding -ding

On my 92 caravan - while driving the chime will intermittently start dinging similar to when you leave the turn signal on. Is it trying to tell me something? may be related to another problem - battery going dead while sitting. Is there a diagnostic code chart for the computer available that will tell me what to fix?

it dosn' t chime when the van is not moving

posted by  hookertoo

make sure your door sensors are okay. perhaps the vehicle thinks the door isn't being closed (or tailgate, they are common to have problems)

if the door sensor is bad a light in the dash or your dome light could be staying on and running the battery dead as well. is this possible?

posted by  carls47807

it dosn't seem to be a door sensor - but it does stop when the van stops moving

posted by  hookertoo

did you check the rear gate at all? when at rest, it would be safe to assume that the gate isnt moving, but when the vehicle is in motion, the latch on the gate could be allowing the gate to have some give and movement, which in turn, could wreak havoc on the sensor...

just a thought...ill check the haynes manual i have upstairs and see if i can find a better answer(my family owned a 1991 caravan...)

posted by  dodgerforlife

Or the chime could be related to the seatbelt sensor circuit.

posted by  srober32

i'm not ruling it out by any means but i don't think the dodge minivans had the seat belt chime back in the early 90's. am i wrong? does the little dude wearing the seatbelt stay lit in your dashboard?

posted by  carls47807

I checked the rear gate and it's not the problem. My wife says it chimed almost constantly on her way to work this morning. I don't think there are seat belt sensors. Radio partially covers the dinging.. LOL

posted by  hookertoo

She says she has found a problem with the gate - once again " I was wrong" thanks for the help.

posted by  hookertoo

anytime :thumbs:

posted by  dodgerforlife

it feels so good to help some one.

posted by  carls47807

Your Message