1995 626 warm engine stall

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  1995 626 warm engine stall

I appear to have place this in the wrong forum- Rookie Maneuver :wink2:

Greetings,

Just yesterday, after driving my car for 20-30 minutes, varied conditions (city/highway), I was unable to maintain the idle on the car unless the accelerator was lightly pressed to hold 800-1000. Once i released the pedal, the engine would stall out.

The vehicle is a 1995 626 DX, 2.0, manual 5 speed, 93K.

I had to double pedal to brake and hold idle to get home. After the engine cooled 1-2 hrs, it would start and idle (a little rough) and then it died as it warmed up. I could hold the Idle at 1500 and tun on A/C which would drop rpm to 1000 and back up again when A/C turned off.

This morning, with a nice cold engine, the car started up right away and held 900-1000 rpm warm-up idle and drove fine until starting to warm-up. Same problem as yesterday.

I suspect IAC failed or sticking, is this good first start to clean and see if resolves? Also gonna try battery disconnect for 30 minutes to see if can reset.

Any first step ideas appreciated.

Thanks,
Patrick

posted by  tomslick_wa

looking at a wiring diagram for your 2.0L your car has a mass air flow sensor try lite taps on it see if it stubles might be going bad the sensor will be somewhere along the intake tube from the air filter to the throttle body

posted by  osborste

Tried the tapping to no avail.

Would adjusting the throttle linkage to up the idle be a bad thing? Buddy suggested to get me past this, until it gets better worked out.

Thanks,
Patrick

posted by  tomslick_wa

there no service engine light have you checked the spark plugs/wires buddy of mine had 96 323 and the wire's needed to be replaced around 80000 km burnt the contact off inside at plug #3

posted by  osborste

Just to follow up, I cannot hear, feel, or smell anything else related to this problem. Outside of the warm idle, engine is smooth, no hesitation and has no foul or rich odors. Even when I hold the warm idle at 800-1000 with the pedal or throttle linkage, the engine is smooth.

Can worn plugs, wires, or distributor, only cause warm idle issues and not effect anything else?

If I take off the IAC valve to clean, is there any precautions I should heed, besides gaskets, o-rings, and the likes. What is best to clean with?

Thanks again,
Patrick

posted by  tomslick_wa

maybe check your fuel pressure as well. i've seen a few pumps start acting up only after the car has run a while and they get hot.

posted by  dodger65

mazda has had alot of trouble with iac just change it.its 10 years old mahn.

posted by  the lobster

Your Message