1992 jetta won't start after 10 mins

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  1992 jetta won't start after 10 mins

I have a 1992 VW jetta, I believe is the 1.8 cyl. manual gear. The problem with it is that lately, meaning 2 months now, the car is giving me problems and it is not starting over. I can spend almost 10 mins. switching on and it won't start.
I went to a mechaninc once, he was charging me almost 60 dlls for a 2 hours fixing but I did not had any money at the time. I just realized that one of the coils or wires is loose and carbonized. It may be a ignition coil, but I am not a mechanic. The coils is one of five coils, where the rest 4 connect the sparkplugs with the distributor (I think that is how it is called).
I know the battery is good, but I am afraid it is going to die soon because of the problem. I keep the car up to date, but I may be missing something.
I need help, and pronto please! :banghead:

posted by  deebo99mx

This is just a edition. I was checking the web and I made a mistake. It is not the coil that was burnt. It was the wire connecting the coil with the distributor cap.

:drool: :oops:

posted by  deebo99mx

first of all 60 bucks for 2 hours is cheap, he probably couldn't even pay his bills with that kind of rate, anyway i would pull the distributor cap off first and make sure the rotor is still securely attached to the shaft, it's easy to check and thirdly by still driving it and avoiding the problem....YES your are going to make it far worse than it already is :ohcrap:

posted by  BanffAutoSpa_ap

Kinda sounds like a tune up is in order.

posted by  srober32

is the engine cranking over and not starting, or is nothing happening, like it is "dead"?

a la does it make the "err err err err err" sound?

posted by  carls47807

Or does it go "click" or "uhh, uhh" or... oh hell I am tired!

posted by  srober32

Me, not the car! :doh:

posted by  srober32

Hi there,
First of all thanks for all the help.
I did check the distributor cap, and changed the wires for the spark plugs to a new one. First of all, I think it made it worse, because now the car does not work at all. In the beggining it would crank over but it won't start (it will make an eternal sound of nu nu nu nu nu nu, or something like that), but after pushing the car it may start. Now it doesn't start at all :doh: , and the only chance it could had started the car ended up giving me some sling shots in the exhaust.
My girl laugh at me big time, so now I will have to pay and let someone else fix it instead of me. Or may be I will buy me a new car. :screwy:

posted by  deebo99mx

Have someone check the firing order, 'cause it sounds like you crossed a couple of wires. :2cents:

posted by  srober32

Your Message