check engine again!!!!!!!!!!

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  check engine again!!!!!!!!!!

hi I took my car and as I said in another thread it was a leak in the vacume hose. NOw they took the broken part and fixed it and put in in the car. I am driving to staten island from new jersey and, the light goes on again what do you think could be the problem.I know it was stupid to have them put the "fixed" part in the car instead of getting a new one. thanks in advace to all that respond.

posted by  Fgreco

go tell those goofs to fix it right or get their license pulled.it is this kind of vermin that ruin it for all mankind.

posted by  the lobster

yeah your right I wish I knew how to fix cars and not get riped off anymore.

posted by  Fgreco

I went back to the mechanic and he says it is the catylitic converter. He says the part was 1,000$ for my car but, it came down to 275$ he is charging a lot of labor he is going to charge about 450$. I hope that this is it and I wont have to put anymore money into this piece of crap lol. 97' Mercury Mystique.

posted by  Fgreco

Let me tell you this right now, I have never in my life heard of a catalytic converter costing a thousand dollars.

posted by  Flame Roller

I would check Summit and different parts catalogs for a catalytic converter. They usually have them cheaper and some repair shops are willing to put them on for you. Also I have found that if you talk to a dealership that in some states if your car is 10 years old or newer and under so many miles they can replace it at a reduced part cost or even a free part. Hope this helps.

posted by  jessTcup

check out a later model ford van or truck converter that is dealer-only. i'm not saying his is that expensive, but i've seen fords w/ $1600 worth of new converters on them...

posted by  dodger65

what codes were thrown?

posted by  tbaxleyjr

I really dont know what codes were thrown they didnt tell me. they scaned it with a little computer and said it was the conveter. He said the cost of teh part came down to 275$. Also what is an after market converter?

posted by  Fgreco

you didn't mention engine size the 4cyl has one converter the 6cyl has 2
i would get second opinions on this(take it somewhere else) the o2 sensors could be what is causeing the service light and they are trying to get the big money part first then tell you the o2 sensors should be replaced or nab you after the pipe is done

an aftermarket converter is designed the same as the orignal conveter internally but are universal fit you need to buy adapter pipes to fit your car to use it

posted by  osborste

I have the 6 cylender 2.5 liter engine. That is wierd because this place isnt a place to rip anyone off. So many people have gone here and there are so many people who say good things about them I have gone there for 5 years as my dad did also.

posted by  Fgreco

if they don't know any better, they won't know if they're getting screwed

posted by  dodger65

so you say they would charge me for the cat converter and then charge me for the o2 sensor.

posted by  Fgreco

i think so. there maybe nothing wrong with the converter and it's just a bad o2 sensor or both sensor's

posted by  osborste

There is no way I would know if they are pulling this scam. I am calling them tomarrow I will ask them about the o2 sensor. If it was an o2 sensor what or would a code come up on the comuter scanner thing lol. If so what code usually comes up if you know it.

posted by  Fgreco

o2 code's p0131 to 0161 or p1128 to 1132 all deal with the o2 system
need the actual code to be more specific

posted by  osborste

Thanks for your help and information. I will call my mechanic tomarrow and I will tell you what he says. I hope I dont have to sell the car I reallly like the stereo :wink2:

posted by  Fgreco

Your Message