Problems with 1992 Saturn SL2

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Problems with 1992 Saturn SL2

I have a 1992 Saturn SL2 and it has a few small problems. I was just wondering what these problems could be. First of all once the engine warms up to running temperature and I try to take off it sort of lags. It just doesn't want to take off quickly. Also when you take off quickly it will have a smoke come out of the exhaust. Also when you take off sometimes it has a sort of a backfire sound come out of the exhaust. Nothing major, but I would like to know what it is. I would sure love to here some replies about it.

posted by  scole_92

how many miles? does it burn oil? it isn't uncommon to burn a little oil, the thing could just be getting tired.

does the accelerator "stick" or is it just slow to get going? automatic or manual?

posted by  carls47807

i think tune up plugs and wire's your ignition system is likely wornout plugs are finished not igniting fuel((bit of a guess) dark smoke at tail pipe on hard accel and back fire)whats the mileage if your not sure when the last tune-up was done take a look at the plugs should be fairly clean but rusty brown color the center electrode will be worn or rounded off(check attachment) if you decide to do a tune-up get the fuel and air filter changed and pcv if equipt as well

posted by  osborste

it has about 110,000 miles and is a manual, the accelerator doesn't stick all it does is just a slow acceleration. It does burn a little oil but not much at the most I add about 1/4 of a quart every fill up

posted by  scole_92

trouble codes?

when was the last time the car was tuned up?

checked for a blocked catalytic converter?

posted by  tbaxleyjr

these things are notorious for corrosion on the coil towers. pull the wires off the coils and see if the posts are shiny or corroded.

posted by  DFgerbil

Your Message