93 Taurus SHO blower motor always runs on high

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  93 Taurus SHO blower motor always runs on high

The blower motor on my 1993 Ford Taurus SHO always runs in high. This car has the electronic climate control system. I can control the location of the air (defrost, vent, floor, etc) and I can control the temperature, but I can not change the fan speed. It always blows high, even when you turn the ECC off (when you turn the vehicle off the blower shuts off also). I cannot find a blower motor resistor, but I did find the variable blower control module. Is there a way I can test this part? Does anyone have experience with this problem? Thanks for any help...

MG

posted by  IAmAnIdiot

i think the blower motor resister block is faulty the sping steel resisters for the lower speeds are likely broken and the one for the high speed is likely making contact with the ground prong keeping the fan running all the time the resister block is usely near the blower motor should have 4 wire's to it

posted by  osborste

Thanks for replying, I cannot find a blower motor resistor in this vehicle. The variable blower control module (that is what the part is labeled) is where I would expect to find the blower motor resistor. It is a flat, wide metal piece with "radiator fins" that extends into the air duct. It also has a small circuit board attached to it. Does this piece replace the blower motor resistor? Is the resistor there and I am just not seeing it? I am going to work on it again tomorrow afternoon, I will double check to see what I can find.

posted by  IAmAnIdiot

looked up the parts looks like the resistor is part of the switch

posted by  osborste

the fords that have electronic climate control have an electronic blower control mounted to the blower assembly.if the board gets overheated ,it needs to replaced .i had a 89 sable wagon with this problem.there was bad soldering on the pc board.unless you are an electronics tech,it is easier to replace the board with a used one.some of them had another board with resistors on it that is close to the module,and some models had springs that were resistors.repairing the pc board is something that even ford does not do.

posted by  the lobster

if the pc board is on the blower motor assembly,that IS the control FOR THE FAN.i had one of these overheat in an 89 sable with the electronic dash,and that pc board was the trouble.see if you can find a good used one,unless you are very good with a soldering iron.
there are spring looking things on that board,if the solder overheated,it can go open circuit .

posted by  the lobster

Your Message