HELP!! Cat Converter/Donut Gasket

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  HELP!! Cat Converter/Donut Gasket

Before I get started let me say up front that I am sorry for my ignorance. I'm a single female and I'm trying to get my vehicle fixed as cheaply as possible. I have a 96 Geo Tracker with exhaust problems. My cat converter is bad and was quoted a price of 300 to 500 or more if the bolts break. My question is this a fair price. I also have a bad donut gasket and was wondering if it is something I can live with until I have some extra money to spare.

posted by  cbeck

as far as the leaky donut gasket, if you don't mind the loud noise your car must be making then dont' worry about it.

is your car running poorly, and if not why do they think the catylitic converter is bad?

posted by  carls47807

The truck was loud until I stopped by a random shop and got them to look at it. They told me that the pipe going to the manifold was broke loose, they welded a new piece of pipe back for the time being and the noise is now gone. They said they needed to replace the donut gasket and cat converter. They also told me that to do that they were going to have to do something with a bolt and if that broke that the price would go way up.

posted by  cbeck

I mainly need to know if any or all of this is necessary.

posted by  cbeck

well if the vehicle runs fine and it passes inspection none of it is necessary, especially if you do not have the money to fix it. it the catylitic converter was bad your vehicle would most likely be running like shit. and if the loud noise from your car doesn't bother you then the hell with it.

posted by  carls47807

well it is not running good. I dont really know how to describe it other than it is rocking, like the rpm gauge jumps and you can feel it. Is this caused by the cat converter and/or donut gasket. And also I heard I could just have the converter bypassed.
Thanks!

posted by  cbeck

if the converter does plug up(going bad) the heat and back pressure nomaly will burn up or blow out the donut gasket and plugged converters are hard on engine's have you noticed the temp gauge higher than normal or temp light coming on. heres a pic of the exhaust system your converter is a one piece construction thats likely why it's so expensive call some part's store's see if they have a universal fit application for the tracker once the converter is replaced then get the donut fixed or it will just burn up again

posted by  osborste

Your Message