1993 Grand Am Component Location

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  1993 Grand Am Component Location

Hi! I'm trying to find a decent photo of the 1993 Grand Am SE 3.3L V6 engine with component placement info. At the exact moment, I'm trying to figure out which pieces, exactly, are the Coolant Temperature Sensor and Cooling Fan Switch. I bought a general purpose maintenace manual from my local Canadian Tire (a big hardware/automotive parts chain here in Canada) and it gives me the procedures, but doesn't have a photo of the 3.3L engine to point out which piece is which. As I'm not a real mechanic, I'm just a bit edgy about pulling pieces without really knowing for sure what they are!

Anyone know if such a thing exists on the web? Alternately, someone who could describe the location and look exactly (as befits for a complete neophyte) would also be a great help.

Many thanks.

posted by  Wilco

here it is

posted by  osborste

Thanks for your very fast reply! I'm glad I went with my instinct not to play with it without getting better advice. I was off in the totally wrong direction. I just hope that I can get through tomorrow without any problems. I have the components and should be able to work on it tomorrow evening.

Just to let you know, the issue is that I am a medical courier driver, so I'm driving around the city for 10 - 12 hours a day. Everything is fine for the first 6- 8 hours but in the afternoon when it gets warmer and the wind dies down, it starts to overheat. The other day I 'leaked' 2 liters of coolant though the overpressure valve in the coolant reservoir cap. This is when I noticed that I hadn't heard the rad fan come on at any point and the search began! I think the thermostat is OK as the upper rad hose is hot when the engine is hot, so it seems I have flow there. Based on this, and the fact that the relay and the sensor are pretty cheap to buy, I figured that I'd just replace both and that should nail the problem. I don't get paid a lot, so it's DYI time for this driver!

Again, thanks, and if you have any other suggestions, tips, comments etc.. that you think might be relevant, I'd be more than happy to hear about them!

posted by  Wilco

Your Message