2003 Hyundai Sonata: need help!

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  2003 Hyundai Sonata: need help!

We own a 2003 Hyundai Sonata LX; it's a V6, automatic transmission with about 31,000 miles. We do alot of traveling, most of it on the interstate. We've not had any problems until 2 weeks ago; I was out running errands (go from work to get the baby from school, go to the pharmacy, go to Starbucks, etc). As I was driving home, I noticed that when I pressed the accelerator the RPM's went crazy but I had no power; it car would not budge over 20. I pulled over, turned the car off, and then turned it back on; same thing. Eventually, the check engine light came on and the car started to jerk some.

It was towed to the dealer who "couldn't reproduce the problem"; they hooked it up to the computer and said the check engine light was a misfire that was random. We picked it up the next day and drove it for a week with no further problems.

Last Monday I was getting on the interstate; my daughter was in the back. As I tried to merge the same problem happened again; this time with a semi almost on top of me. I managed to make it to the next exit; I discovered that if I gently hit the accelerator I could get the car up to about 40 but it sounded very loud and I heard what sounded like muffler backfire as well.

Again, taken to the shop; they've had it a week (their tech has been driving the mileage off of our warranty). Again, they cannot reproduce the problem so it's like they don't even know where to begin.

Any hints about what to ask or say when we talk with the service department would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much.

posted by  mardob

couple of suggestions
1 check cam and crank and maybe throttle position sensors
2 ignition system coils/wires/ plugs
3 fuel pump and filter
4 mass(volume) air flow sensor if used

posted by  osborste

sounds like a wiring harness problem to me.i would call hyundai and ask if anyone else is experiencing a similar problem.they have a computerized sharing system.if not i would trade in that car before a train hits you.
if you are in the u.s. is there not a lemon law?take it in 50 times and say you want a new one,then trade it in on a toyota.

posted by  the lobster

Your Message