92 Accord slow acceleration

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  92 Accord slow acceleration

there's a 2 to 3 sec delay from idle to 2500rpm when i hit accelerator. plugs ok, fuel pump/injectors/filter ok, wires/cap/rotor ok, timing seems to be ok. from an idle stop in drive, it takes a long time to get to ~2500rpm then it jerks a little, then runs fine the rest of the rpm spectrum. it does the same thing in park. during the 2 to 3 sec delay it sounds like it's not getting any fuel but lots of air or timing is not advancing fast enough to keep up with the position of the throttle. what's really weird is that it only does it at lower rpms. any ideas? thank you.

posted by  zdrepaul

Check your mass air flow sensor. Its either that or youve just got a weak engine.

posted by  FordFromHell351

i think i got a good idea why the car its slow....its shit. Its got no power, no displacement and overall is a granny car. Cars like that are not meant to go fast. They are designed to carry little people around cities, not the quater mile. Get a real car...at least 6 cylinders....in a V.

posted by  bigv8

Would you call the old Ford 255 4.2L V8 a 'real' engine? Because it makes less power stock than his Honda 132 2.2L I4.

posted by  thunderbird1100

So you're saying that the Supra TT isn't a real car.........:laughing: it rocks

Some people don't have enough money to pay for a V8 car, or enough money to pay for its poor gas mileage.

posted by  Accord_Man

If all you're gonna do is bad mouth smart, economic, durable Japanese cars, then you might want to try the DOMESTIC section of this forum.

posted by  Accord_Man

Are you saying that an R34 Skyline or a Supra RZ are crap? Cars don't need to have displacement to go fast or at least feel fast.

posted by  99integra

What the problem is, is that your clutch is slipping and you need to replace it. Yould have to probobly replace the clutch and pressure plate and depending on how bad it realy is you might have to replace the throw out bearing and the fly wheel. :laughing:

posted by  JDMprelude92

Or if its an auto have your tranny fluid checked.Sometimes low fluid pressure will delay shifts. .. remember more air more power. :thumbs:

posted by  ztek88

So the Evo is crap too huh...cuz its 4 cylinder? Not a real car?

posted by  Vlad

And don't forget the STi..... :orglaugh:

:fu:

posted by  SubaruCorsi

Lets not forget the ho4's in the Porsches. Or we could go a different route with the flaming...semi's and medium duty trucks put out more torque and hp than most v8's...with i6's or i8's, go figure.

posted by  srober32

^^Even more power than quite a few V12s, for that matter.

I have had a similar problem with my 94 Accord EX. Not so much the lack of response, but the sudden "jerks" with no change in throttle position. It'll get to about 2500 rpm too and suddenly accelerate faster. As it isn't really a problem for me I've never worried about it.

posted by  hondaman

Back on topic, check the tranny, sounds like the o/d may be acting up (popping on and off).

posted by  srober32

it may be your carb.. run your car on almost complete empty and dump some carb cleaner in ur tank.. its worth a shot

posted by  C c C

I believe all post-1980 something Accords were fuel injected.

posted by  hondaman

then clean your injectors by doing same with fuel injector cleaning fluid instead.

posted by  C c C

okay so about that R34 skyline...what is the displacement...I read somewhere that is has a 2.6 Liter RB26DETT Twin Turbo Inline 6 but it has DOHC 4 Valves / Cylinder. i'm confused about this inline 6 and having 4 valves. can you explain to me and maybe make a diagram...thanks

posted by  94accordprobs

4 valves per cylinder usually means it has two intake and two exhaust valves, whereas a three valve per cylinder would have either two intake or exhaust, and then one of the other.

It doesn't have 4 valves in total, it has 24.

posted by  hondaman

accords made the switch in 1988, i think. b/c there was an lx and an lxi, and to order brake rotors, you have to know whether it's fi or not... what a PITA :banghead:

posted by  dodger65

Since someone already explained your question I can show u the specs on it:

Engine Code: RB26DETT-inline 6; twin turbo
Valvetrain: dohc 24 valve
Drivetrain: all wheel drive
Displacement: 2568cc
Bore & Stroke: 86.0mm 73.7mm
Compression Ratio: 8.5:1
Redline: 8000 rpm
Max Power: 327 horsepower@6800 rpms
Max Torque: 400 lbs@4400 rpms
Horsepower per liter: 127.3