1971 Cutlass problem with trans

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  1971 Cutlass problem with trans

Just rebuilt 350 (edelbrock carb, cam, manifold), new 3500 stall converter (questionable as to who built it, the guy who rebuilt my transmission referred him) and rebuilt transmission w/ heavy duty BM shiftkit.

Engine runs great...starts fine, idles fine, great sounding through all rpm's.
Problem comes when you put the car into gear; the car will go into gear and then it seems as though all the power is gone. NONE whatsoever. I am guessing it might be the 3500 stall converter...maybe too much stall? any comments would be greatly appreciated.

PS. edelbrock rated engine at 420 horses at flywheel so I would think power wouldnt be an issue.

posted by  neslorelyks

sorry, the trans is TH-350
thanks again in advance for any information

posted by  neslorelyks

See if you can get your money back on the torque converter and get one with a lower stall speed. Unless you like putting your foot to the floor to move the car from any stop. For an everyday driver you do not need a converter that engages at half of the normal engine RPM max. :2cents:

posted by  srober32

Yeah i would have to agree with ya. two major mistakes on my part. first for not goin with a torque converter from b&m or TCI and then for getting such a rediculously high stall thanks for your input.

posted by  neslorelyks

Your Message