1986 camaro WAS fast but not anymore

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  1986 camaro WAS fast but not anymore

i have a 1986 camaro Z28. it has a 350 from an '87 camaro IROC-Z but the throttle bodies were swapped for a holly 650 cfm carb. it also has hooker headers and mufflers running through 3" pipe, an edelbrock manifold and an after market cam.. yesterday out of no where i was going home when it just lost all power..
from about 1500 RPM on up its real doggy but it has short periods where it just takes off for about 500 RPM but then is a real dog again.
i can floor it and its about as fast as my 1991 buick lesabre. so far i have replaced the fuel filter and acceleration pump.. i have also checked the plug wires and one of the eight plugs (the headers make it impossible to change plugs) but the wires and plugs only have about 5k miles on them and looked brand new. i also checked the timing and distributor. its all okay. im going to put a new fuel pump in tommarow and i am pretty skeptical. i have checked all vacum lines to and from the carb and there good and if the fuel pump doesnt do it im going to freak out.. so have any of you guys experienced this before?? what the hell is it? i want to spank all those ricers friday night.. help me!!

posted by  svdiablo979

hey bud sorry to hear about your problem.
I would first check all of the plugs
then the ignition system
it might be in your ecu so if you know how to; pull up your codes on the dash and look them up in a repair manual
remember you want to start cheap and make your way up the neverending hill of expenses

posted by  neslorelyks

do you have an ecu in that car?
sorry no experience with '86's

posted by  neslorelyks

what i have experienced with headers and ecu's is that the underhood temps that the headers create make the electrical a brittle mess.

posted by  neslorelyks

as far as i know the ecu is inopreative.. if i remember correctly it was taken out because it wouldnt let the engine run when we swapped out the electronic throttle bodies with the carb. i think its inop because the check engine light doesnt come on with the key turned to "on" posistion but i'll be sure to check that tonight.. im also going to put some "HEAT" in the fuel tank before i put in a new fuel pump to rule out water impurities in the fuel tank because the car has been sitting for about 6 months

posted by  svdiablo979

i put in the fuel pump and now the beast runs great.... tommarow night im gonna be eating Toyota's :cussing: out Mitsubishi's pissing out Subaru's and vomiting up Honda's

posted by  svdiablo979

this is only a smart remark because i am a mustang freek
want to make that chevy run faster?
trade it for a ford. LOL just kidding around
ppauley53@msn.com
ppauley/cobra freek

posted by  ppauley

GETTEM' SON!!! :rock:

posted by  frizzal

Your Message