Blinking light on my dash

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Blinking light on my dash

I have a manual 2.2l 1995 Chevy Cavalier and noticed everytime i take my E-Brake off I get this flashing light on. It looks like the headlamps light but reversed. I am thinking it is maybe because I do not have my day time lights on or working? It has been like that since I bought the car.I have also checked ALL the fused inside and outside my car. If you need more info please let me know, thank you

I uploaded a picture of what the light looks like. I am a very bad drawer, sorry

posted by  BooFA1010

I dont know but On my car that is when I have my brights on. Iam very inexpierienced with cars but, that is what mine does it is a mercury mystique.

posted by  Fgreco

on my 97 malibu if i set the park brake start the car my drl lights are off when i release they come on this is normal as the park break cancels the drl if the like flashes you may have a blown bulb (high beam)or the drl module has a fault. if you are not worried about it then don't if your high/low beams work on there own with headlight switch

posted by  osborste

my high beam lights on my dash are on a different spot, and it is also blue. THe colour of this light im talking about is like yellow or something

posted by  BooFA1010

take a picture of it for us.

posted by  carls47807

the owners manual will give you the emblem from the cluster .alot of cars
use separate bulbs for the daytime lights and do NOT use the headlight low beams.example of this :96,97,98,99 dodge caravan .uses yellow #57 for the drl and another type for low /high beam.this is done to prevent burning out your headlights.a burnt out drl module will generate an electrical fault code.i would check the bulbs first.the drl bulbs are on the outside of the headlight assembly,if i remember correctly

posted by  the lobster

i will take a picture of it with my digital camera very soon like in the next 2 days.

posted by  BooFA1010

I just went outside to take a picture and realized that I was way off with my discription. Well here is the picture of the blinking light.

posted by  BooFA1010

HOW WEIRD, i swear that looks like the high beam icon.

does you car have side lights like lancers or jettas? you know those lights on your fender. if u do, maybe u can have a look on those? did you check your flashers (signal lights)? your brake lights? reverse lights?

posted by  Ki2AY

it doesnt have sside lights. my brake signal and every other light works fine. the only light i noticed that doesnt work is my daytime runners.
here is a way better drawn picture of what it exactly looks like.

posted by  BooFA1010

does the car have fog lights? or it is part of the drl lights

posted by  osborste

thats weird.. i have never seen that light. anyways, good luck hope someone will answer your question.

posted by  Ki2AY

No my car does not have fog lights.

posted by  BooFA1010

then the light has to be part of the drl system there's a fault in the relay or the processor in the i/p panel check the attachment there only 2 lights the drl and high beam

posted by  osborste

after looking at the schematic there is only few possibilities.measure across the relay coil,it could be open and the 12 volts is missing on the microprocessor,or the chip itself or a connection in the cluster is no good, or the relay contacts are fused inside and think the park brake is still on,or the switch in the park brake is no good.the wierd thing is is alot of function that the processor does are still
working so the chip is probably not it ,the more i look at the schematic.it is the drl fuse,open coil,fused relay,wiring ,i do not see a switch on the park brake going to the cpu,it must be in another schematic.,if its got one..where do you get the schematics from?

posted by  the lobster

I am not a car expert so I am having a little trouble understanding that diagram adn everything. If someone could explain in detail or think of another reason it is that way, that would be good. I will try asking some people I know who are very good with cars to see if they can tell me what it is. If I find out I will let everyone know what I found out. Until then help is always appriciated, Thank You

posted by  BooFA1010

I am about 75% sure it is my day time lights. Now I just have to find someone who can fix it for free :) anyone have any other things I should know about fixing day timers?

posted by  BooFA1010

i would just go to the scrap yard and find a used instrument panel with mileage close to what you have and replace it the drl unit is a microprocessor
i wouldn't know where to start to replace it or if it could be done

posted by  osborste

how do u know?

posted by  Ki2AY

My brother took out his fuse for day time lights because his abs was messed. Now he has that same light in his dash, and his day timers don't work either. I'm not 100% sure it is that but it seems to be?

posted by  BooFA1010

Your Message