What kind of transmissions oil?

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  What kind of transmissions oil?

I have a 94 accord ex. 4 door 4 cylinder. lately the transmission is shifting hard so i just want to change the transmission oil, because i don't think that it has been done in a while. honda recommends i use Dexron II Automatic Transmissions/Transaxle Fluid (ATF) is there some other type of of trans. oil?
I heard that honda trans. oil is kinda exspensive...how much is it?...and is there some cheaper alternative that will work just as good as the one honda recommends?? Please reply fast.

posted by  94accordprobs

Sure, Honda name brand fluid could be pricey, that's why they reccomend DexronII, so you can buy quality, cheaper priced fluid like Valvoline or others. Go to the auto parts store and ask them what brand they like, and if it's not to pricey for you and is a name brand buy a case. Or take it to an oil change shop that you trust and have them change the fluid and filter.

posted by  srober32

i would check with the dealer on this i remember doing a honda and it called for 5w30 i just dont remember the exact year. late 80's early 90's

posted by  osborste

All manual transaxles use engine oil, not gear oil, as a lubricant. The oil should meet SG oil standards (preferred), however, SF is acceptable. For Accords through 1993 and Preludes through 1991, refer to the illustration to determine the proper viscosity. On other models, use 10W-30 or 10W-40 oil.

went and looked it up

posted by  osborste

Thanks for the info and taking the time to look it up...but my car is an automatic....sorry for not mentioning it before...

posted by  94accordprobs

as long as the atf meets dex II specs it will work just the more you pay the better quality (no name/bulk vs bottled quakerstate or penzoil etc.)

posted by  osborste

i am assuming that you have an automatic transmission.dexron 3 replaces type 2 .there are many manufacturers of that type.honda more than likely have someone else make theirs for them.find out who that is.there are also very high quality synthetics as well .the best one is AMS OIL.the main thing is to replace the filter,(or clean the screen)and change the fluid at the recommended interval,usually 48000 km.the absolute best thing is to have it pumped out and replaced .this is about 120 dollars canadian at honda.

posted by  the lobster

Thanks for the info.. the pepboys in my city has dexron III penzoil and valvoline maxlife(this one says to use on transmissions with 75,000 miles or more, but it's $1 more) I think i'm going to use the valvoline one it that okay?? or should i just stick to penzoil..is there a difference in those two?...and how much transmission oil do i have to put in on a 94 accord automatic??.. .please reply ...thanks

posted by  94accordprobs

spec for capacity is 5 liters start with four start run tranny through the gears recheck level on level ground engine off after normal operating temp reach level needs to be checked hot then top off with the 5th try not to over fill
included pic of drain plug location and dip stick level check

posted by  osborste

it is probably good to go with the valvoline because it has an extra detergent to deal with varnish build up.DO NOT OVERFILL the level,it can cause the fluid to escape from gaskets,and the filler tube if you overfill it.check it when hot,at running temp.
put in drive then to neutral,with the park brake on,and make sure the surface is level.generally,honda has 100 ml of fluid between the add and full mark,so just add a small amount and check it after 30 seconds.if it is still
low,add more until it is at the mark.ONLY ADD A SMALL AMOUNT AT A TIME.If you are going to drain it,the torque converter will keep some in,so the capacity will not take 5 litres.it will only do that if you pump it out.osborste had a good suggestion and i agree,use 4 litres and measure.then add small amounts until at the right level.if you overfill it ,you might have to open the drain and bleed some off.since the transmission does not have a pressure regulator,it is very bad to overfill it.

posted by  the lobster

Thank you both again for the info that you have gave me. It is extremely valuable to me. And thanks for the capitalization of the important reminders...thanks...but I still have a couple of questions..when you say run the engine through the gears do i rev it a certain rpm? or just run it at idle, another question concerning the automatic transmission filter...I looked up on chiliton's honda accord book, but i can't find anything about it. Do you guys have any idea where it is on a 94 accord and how the procedure goes in replacing or cleaning it?? Excuse me for asking so many questions but I need to be sure of what to do before i do because i can't afford to F*ck things up. I find out what to repair or mantainance on my car on the weekends so i can go to school on the week days...thanks so much again. please reply back....

94accordprobs

posted by  94accordprobs

let it idle as you shift through the gears rev neut driv 2 1 then back to park you are useing the trans pump to remove air from the torque converter and the rest of the trans from the draining plus the fluid need to heat up expand this is the reason for checking hot and to not overfill if you do overfill you can drain some off through the drain plug remove and replace little by little
judge appox how much drains out if its approx 4L start the refill with 4
dont get scared if you only get 2L or 3L some oil will stay in the torque converter you could do a form of a flush if only 2L come out put 2L in drive around the block then drain the 2L refill this would help flush the old oil out of the torque converter good luck it an easy task just dont overfill

for the filter i checked fram's web site and a few other's there's none
looks like a straight drain and refill simple

posted by  osborste

I see... thanks i'm doing it right now...but i can't get the drain bolt to freakin turn.. it's stuck or something...i'm using a rachet and it's really freakin stuck...should i use like WD 40 on that bolt and loosen it??

posted by  94accordprobs

try tapping with a hammer
i gotta ask i don't know your skill level so counter-clockwise to loosen :thumbs:

posted by  osborste

:2cents: Auto tranmissions have a vent on the top so that you don not get vaporlock in the tranny and will vent off extra fluid in case of accidental over-fill (not reccomended). :2cents:

posted by  srober32

Your Message