86 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 5.0 liter TPI

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  86 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 5.0 liter TPI

Hi, Im hoping that someone may be able to help me. My girlfriend just recently purchased a used Trans Am with 160 thousand miles. Motor seems to be in good shape and starts up with no hesitation however, There is a problem with it overheating. Ive replaced Thermostat with a 160 degree temp. Fan seems to be giving a problem as it only comes on when the A/C is turned on. Also the Mass Air Flow sensor glows red continuelously even when the engine is off. Is there something that could be causing this that Im not seeing. Im sure that the radiator could use a good flushing. Please help. thank you :ohcrap:

posted by  spyder0362

Flush the radiator, add some new coolant - Spring for the good stuff - replace the mass air flow sensor, or see if something is clogging it.

posted by  FordFromHell351

Thanks for reply. Anyways I have replaced the flow sensor and it stays on continueously????? Maybe its has a problem in the wireing?

posted by  spyder0362

in the wiring diagram you have two relays one is a burn off relay burnoff what i'm not sure dust/dirt off screen and the other is for normal operation i think the relay is stuck on hope it hasn't damaged the new mass sensor
check the attachment

posted by  osborste

thank you i will check this and see if thats it :thumbs:

posted by  spyder0362

electric fans didn't see that in the diagram find the temp sending sensor jump the plug the fan should kick in if so you got a bad temp sensor

posted by  osborste

Your Message