Stuck carburetor butterflies

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  Stuck carburetor butterflies

Hi, I'm rebuilding a four barrel Carter ThermoQuad carburetor,(for a 340 chrysler engine) and when I got it, it was pretty much all seized up. I soaked it in a bucket of carb cleaner for about three days and sprayed penetrating lubricant like crazy and got it all apart. However the butterflies on it are still stuck, and it seems like I've tried everything to get them loose but they still refuse to budge.:banghead: Anyone have an idea(s) on how to loosen them? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

posted by  Pinstriper38

you could try a little heat(just enough to warm it dont want to melt or warp the base) where the shaft goes through the carb body and cooling it back down with a non flammable penetrating oil the heat will expand the carb body and shaft allowing the pentrating oil in as it cools work it little by little each time it will loosen up

posted by  osborste

uhh..i did that and as i was tapping the shaft out of the body, the *#@$in thing cracked right along the bushings. :cussing: i think i may have heated it too much. but, i paid $10 for the thing at a swap meet, so no big loss.

posted by  Pinstriper38

that sucks did you use an oxy/acet or propane torch

posted by  osborste

no, that'd be overkill. i used a little propane torch.

posted by  Pinstriper38

like one thats a little bigger than a bic lighter
thats odd must have been the bushing expanded faster than the carb

posted by  osborste

naw...it was one of those Bernz-o-Matic ones that are a little bigger than a spray paint can. and yes, it is wierd, the carb comes apart at three places, the throttle body is about 3/4" and it just split in half right along the bushings

posted by  Pinstriper38

any chance of saving it with some 2 part metal epoxy you can get at most parts stores. fill in the crack file it down and smooth out with some sandpaper

posted by  osborste

yeah, i was thinking about doing that

posted by  Pinstriper38

that stuff save's a lot of parts found some other stuff called form-a-thread worked great on the aluminum outboard block i striped a bolt in for the thermostat mixed the paste then coated the threads with the release agent put it together still holding a year later

posted by  osborste

cool, one more question, do any of you know how to get a broken carb adjusting screw out?

posted by  Pinstriper38

set of ez-outs from sears or parts store
i guess it broke in flush or deeper and you can't use vise-grips

posted by  osborste

nope, its in there flush

posted by  Pinstriper38

Man, it sounds like that carb was under water. :laughing:

posted by  srober32

hahah, it was waayyy under water :orglaugh: almost literally lol

posted by  Pinstriper38

You might want to see if you can get another carb and try boiling the base plate in water, sometimes that works to loosen stuff up and it also does a pretty good job of cleaning out the vacuum ports.

posted by  srober32

Your Message