99 dodge ram starting problem

Home  \  Repairs & Maintenance  \  99 dodge ram starting problem

I have a 99 dodge ram its been driving fine then I went to leave work last night after driving all day and would not start just a clicking noise. Thought it might be the battery, just had a new one put in 3 months ago, put a budies one in and no dice. Tried to jump it it sounds like its going to turn over then its starts to click again, and the terimial smokes. After remove jumper cables its totally dead. Please help could it connections, or alternator.

posted by  mschaef

have a load test done on the battery may have a dead cell if the battery is no good have the charging system tested as it maybe over charging and damaging the battery
the starter itself could be bad a bad solinoid or bad motor this can be tested at most parts stores

posted by  osborste

I just cleaned off the terminals and now it is cranking but not turning over. who knows?

posted by  mschaef

so if i get this right the starter is turning but the engine's not the starter is not kicking out the drive gear to mess with the flywheel this would be a bad starter gear or plunger on the solinoid

posted by  osborste

Your Message